xp-90c or xp-90

Klync

Limp Gawd
Guys,

Which one you would pick? I have my clawhammer 3000 coming in next week. Do I really need those aftermarket HSF? Will the retail HSF sufficent enough?

Of course the retail HSF is sufficient, but in terms of noise and temperatures, you can get a better solution.

If you can justify the XP-90C, then choose that instead. It'll offer a few degrees better performance than the regular XP-90. However, if you move your computer around a lot (like, to LAN parties), the XP-90 may be a better choice due to it's low-weight. Then I'll throw this in: if you're considering the XP-90C, consider the SI-120 also.

xp-90 is better for the cost/performance ratio. xp-90c prolly cools better by a few degrees, but is also alot heavier

I bought an XP-90c for the same cost as an xp-90 - cost of the fan so like $42 total. Look around for different vendors. Newegg charges like 60 for the XP-90c and 18 for the fan or something insane. After using a volcano 12 and copper hs on my 6800GT all copper is the only way I go now.

OK, with all this said, which would "COOL" better, an XP90C or an XP120?

well, i have damaged motherboards with super heavy copper heatsinks, so i think that the XP-90 is a good choice for the simple reason that it's light enough not to harm anything. my SP-97 will put a permanant bend into a motherboard, even if the computer is not being moved at all.

as for an aftermarket heatsink being necessary: of course it isn't. aftermarket is for when you want things quieter than a retail heatsink will run, or when you want to overclock farther than a retail heatsink will allow.

i would strongly suggest trying the stock cooler, replacing the stock thermal pad with some AS5, and determining if that is good enough for you. if you then decide to move up to a better heatsink, you can still used the AS5.

as for the temp difference offered by the copper version....most reviews that i have read have noted 1 C improvement, rather than a few degrees, however that depends in part on testing method.

Ok thank you for kind replies. Yeah, I also did few more research here n there. Those copper HS does weight a ton and it can bend the mobo. So, I just may get the aluminium HS for now.

thanks
ken

WAit i just checked

XP-90 = 360g
XP-90c = 690g

and

SI-120 = 400g

SO DEFINATELY GET SI-120
:) :D

loud...noises!1!!one!1!!! :eek:

That XP-90c was in my sights for a long time until I moved to watercooling. But yeah the only reason to not use your stock heatsink is if you want to overclock or make your PC quieter. A stock CPU performs at the same performance at 40c and at 45c temperature.

XP90C if money isnt an issue but do get the si-120 if you can simply..because......
120MM fans > 92MM ;)

hard to beat the look of the XP-90c and its size...the weight is of no consequence to me...hsnt bent my board and my CPU running at 2.7ghz and 1.60v idles at 29-30c, and loads at 39-40c...thats the reason I love the XP-90c :)

Thermaltake Big Typhoon is a great cooler. I had a hard time believing it, being that Thermaltake makes it. :p

But the reviews speak for themselves:

http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=ttbigtyphoon1

My only issue with it is the weight (and apparently it's not possible to install with the provided materials, you need one of those z-shaped screwdrivers, lol). But for 10°C less than the XP-90, it's worth it.

DieLate said:
Thermaltake Big Typhoon is a great cooler. I had a hard time believing it, being that Thermaltake makes it. :p

But the reviews speak for themselves:

http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=ttbigtyphoon1

My only issue with it is the weight (and apparently it's not possible to install with the provided materials, you need one of those z-shaped screwdrivers, lol). But for 10°C less than the XP-90, it's worth it.
or u could juss go with the sonic tower ;)

N H O said:
or u could juss go with the sonic tower ;)

I'm not sure why. It's not quite as efficient, and it doesn't cool any of the motherboard components below it due to it's orientation. It is better for exhausting hot air out of the case, but that's about it. You really can't run it passive on most CPUs (unless maybe if you have a P180 case with the 2 120mm fans right by it).

Omfg Just Get An Si-120 All Of You Saying The Xp-90c Looks Better Think......do You Want Something That Looks Good Or An Si-120 That Looks Good Plus Very Very Good Cooling >>>> Better Than An Xp-90c!!!

I'm with SI-120, I hope there's no problem fitting into my LL-pc60 case.

SI-120 all the way its tons better than tt big typhoon. Definately get SI-120 youll be so pleased with the results you get

okay, Im getting si-120(you guys convinced me). Now, do I need to remove the cpu bracket that's around the cpu housing area? I have Epox 8HRDAI board, so do I need to unmount it and remount the bracket that come's with the SI-120 kit?

thanks

If u want to get a few more degrees cooling out of your heatsink like us hardcore
overclockers;)
then i would recommend lapping your heatsink. You will see when you get it the machined bottom isnt all that flat. Oh and what thermal paste are you going to use?

I don't recommend lapping the heatsink in most cases. Thermalright does a pretty decent job with base flatness... and with you amateurs doing it, you could be doing more damage than good. If the base finish on your heatsink is so bad to begin with, you should be looking at getting another heatsink...

Back