• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

XP-90 Pull or Push?

Hexus0

Gawd
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
590
Hey everyone, I just received my XP-90 and was wondering if I the fan on top of it, should suck the hot air out or blow cold air in. I thought I should just let it suck the air out, but my friend is telling me to blow air in, so thats my little dilemma. Another small question is that, on the Panaflow L1BX, when the label is up, that means the air is being pulled right?
 
push air, you will want the label facing down. on the side of the fan there will be two arrows telling you the direction of the spin of the blades and the directino of the air flow
 
Well it depends some people get better temps with the fan pushing down or vice-versa. It also depends on how your case fans are placed. Just mess around wit the fan and ull see which one gives your better temps. :p :D

PS and there should be a small arrow telling which ways the fans blows and alot of times wit the sticker up that means ta fan is blowing down.
 
ReDgUaRd008 said:
PS and there should be a small arrow telling which ways the fans blows and alot of times wit the sticker up that means ta fan is blowing down.

My old 92mm U1A used to have it's sticker facing down blowing on my xp90 that's why I thought facing down would be blowing down.
 
Wow everyone, thanks for the quick replies. I have 1 more quick question, if I want to clean the old thermal grease off the processor, what should I use? If I remember right was I suppose to use rubbing alcohol?
 
Alternatively, you could look at the fan blades to see which way it blows. They are curved, after all...Anyway, I'd say definitely blow onto the HS...It seems weird that any other way would work better, but I guess everyone's is a little different.
 
asianguy80 said:
My old 92mm U1A used to have it's sticker facing down blowing on my xp90 that's why I thought facing down would be blowing down.

HEHE u thought i was commenting on you no no i was just saying tat because i just notices that he asked that question. no hard feelings ;)
 
Decker87 said:
Alternatively, you could look at the fan blades to see which way it blows. They are curved, after all...Anyway, I'd say definitely blow onto the HS...It seems weird that any other way would work better, but I guess everyone's is a little different.
I hear that pulling is actually better for most people but alot dont even try it. It's not something thats hard to switch. Try both ways and see which is better. And yes a pure alchohol (no additives!) or acetone both clean old thermal paste off quite well.
 
Hey everyone, well I installed my XP-90 and my Zalman VF 700CU. Sadly my XP-90 hasn't dropped my temps at all, but it might need time for the AS5 to break in. I just putted it up, I'm at 40C idle, which is what I had stock, and my GPU temps dropped from idle 56C to 48C. Are the temps for the XP-90 right? I mean how was I able to achieve the same temps stock, maybe I should just let the AS5 break in and see if I notice any differences...
 
hmm, that doesn't seem right. it made a huge difference for me.
are you sure you applied the as5 properly? just a little bb-sized dab on the center? breaking in will drop about 2-3 C but you should probably idle between 30 and 35 on that chip.

or do you live in an oven? :p
 
Its all about load temps. See if there is a difference. Although my Venice ran upwards of 40 idle, and when I installed the xp-90 it idles at a chilly 32 :)
 
I ran a CS:S stress test, my GPU was at load at 55C, but my CPU temps at load were the same! On stock I use to load at ~60C, so a 5C drop doesn't seem right. I don't think I did anything wrong, I applied AS5 right, just like the instructions said, a small little dot in the center. Do you think the HSF may not be sitting correctly? Right now as I'm typing im at 44C! These temps seem really high, what do you guys think the problem could be? The room is actually pretty cold as well. I'm cold while I'm sitting here, I'd say its about 65-70F in the room right now...

On the positive side though, my computer is really quiet :D
I'm using a Panaflo L1BX on my XP-90..
This fan..

Edit: Something really weird must be up, I checked MSi CoreCenter and it says my CPU fan speed and NB speed are at 100RPM, and my CPU temp is 53C while my Sys Temp is at 0C....

Edit Again: I check BIOS my CPU temps were at 40C and my fan speed was at 2200RPM just like they should be...

Edit: Well my temps seeming to be jumping all over the place, it was at 33C at one point then 39C, now its 37C, and now 33C...Well I guess thats not too bad...
 
I've found that pulling is more efficient for my processor. Tried both, so yah, try both ;)
 
qbackin said:
Its all about load temps. See if there is a difference. Although my Venice ran upwards of 40 idle, and when I installed the xp-90 it idles at a chilly 32 :)
off topic*

My 3000Venice is idle right now @ 41... I can figure it out. with an xp-90
 
Hexus0 I'm running the same hsf combo on a 3000+ venice core, and I had just about the same experience (also using as5) where my idle temps before and after the new hsf (origionally had stock cooler) were the same on the first day, what I noticed was a week later my idle temps dropped antoher 4-6c and my load temps dropped about the same. I'm guessing it takes the as5 a bit to get settled
(btw fan is blowing into the hsf base)
 
my rad gets much better temps pulling air then it does pushing for some reason i get lower temps overall pulling air into the case then i do pushing it out and no it isnt the case temp, i tested it open case for some reason pulling is better for my rad, but for a xp-90, you might be better off pushing because you blow air on the motherboard components
 
I'd say pull b/c the fan will encounter less resistance. In a push config, it will be working to push air onto a solid object. This will reduce the real world air flow. Pull will allow it to work a lot easier, so its power will be better used.
 
Russ said:
I'd say pull b/c the fan will encounter less resistance. In a push config, it will be working to push air onto a solid object. This will reduce the real world air flow. Pull will allow it to work a lot easier, so its power will be better used.

I'd say push b/c the fan will encounter less resistance. In a pull config, it will be working to pull air from a solid object. This will reduce the real world air flow. Push will allow it to work a lot easier, so its power will be better used.
 
Do you have good case ventilation? B/c if you don't you'll see the same temps from HSF to HSF, b/c of the poor ventilation.

The best cooling is when you duct cool air from outside the case directly to your CPU HSF. Then have the fresh cool air blown down through the HS.

Lian-Li's newer PC60B-Plus have a cone to direct cool air directly to the CPU HSF. (the Plus versions)
 
chrisf6969 said:
Do you have good case ventilation? B/c if you don't you'll see the same temps from HSF to HSF, b/c of the poor ventilation.

The best cooling is when you duct cool air from outside the case directly to your CPU HSF. Then have the fresh cool air blown down through the HS.

Lian-Li's newer PC60B-Plus have a cone to direct cool air directly to the CPU HSF. (the Plus versions)

Excellent point!
 
WhyYouLoveMe said:
I'd say push b/c the fan will encounter less resistance. In a pull config, it will be working to pull air from a solid object. This will reduce the real world air flow. Push will allow it to work a lot easier, so its power will be better used.

how does that make sense at all? Pulling air from a solid object?
 
WhyYouLoveMe said:
If you can tell me that "pushing air into a solid object" makes sense...

I'm saying that it ("pushing air into a solid object") doesn't from a performance point of view. The thing about what you said ("working to pull air from a solid object") it that it isn't even what happens (a.k.a. what you said isn't what I said what happens). Obviously it doesn't push or pull from a solid object at all, as that would mean that any air that you put into a push config would dissapear into the heatsink or something. I'm saying that you will restrict the air flow more by trying to force it through all the cracks and holes and such in a "push" config. In a "pull" config, you would be pulling air from those cracks, but then the air would exit into the general area w/ no restrictions. It makes sense that there would be more restrictions if you were trying to force air into a small area rahter than remove it b/c that's what molecules do, they fill up empty space (i.e. a vacumn).

In short, a push setup will be trying to force air that's already there out of small areas, while a pull setup allows the air to fill in the small spaces on its own and simply pushes free floating air out of the way (much easier obviously).

If you can't see that that makes sense, just say so. I think it makes plenty of sense.
 
Originally, what you said didn't make sense. That explanation clears it up for me. Thankya
 
Hey everyone, well last night I was recieved good temps (31-33C), I haven't done anything right now and I'm idling at 46C! This is insane, I was idling at 38-40C on stock! Any ideas? :confused:

Edit: I tried turning the fan around so its pulling and I'm getting about 38-40C idle...This really doesn't make sense....
 
I removed the thermal compound before with rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl) and then I applied AS5 exactly like it says, a small dot in the middle. I applied just as much as shown in the picture...

I've been trying to really load my computer, seeing if it might help, my video card loads at 60C which is good, I use to load at about 80C so that was a big drop. My CPU loads at about 55-60C as well, which I don't think is too bad.

I don't know if it might be the way my cables are, but I'm going to be doing some major cable management soon, I'm waiting to borrow my cousin in law's dremel so I can mod the a whole by my PSU to route the wires from the back.
 
I did almost 5 degrees c better having the fan blow towards heatsink, but I recommend trying both as I did. Also, my heatsink (hyper 6+) improved after setting in for about a week.
 
Back
Top