XP 64 Pro is not booting

XP 64 Pro is not booting. When I boot my computer it gets to the Windows loading screen then all the sudden cycles back to the BIOS start screen. I get no error messages or error beeps.

What I would like to know is 1) How can I boot in safe mode, stepped boot, and/or a control prompt in XP 64 Pro, 2) What could possibly be wrong (The Registry?), 3) Do you have any suggestions? Please help!

To add more detail, it auto reboots when it would normally go to the windows login screen. When I take out my graphics card I don’t get the BIOS start beep over and over, but I cant see if it makes it to the login screen either. I tried swapping in another card in its place, but face the same problem.

To boot into safe mode hit F8 on boot up. I'd suggest to reformat, and run memtest to make sure your ram is okay.

Memory like the others said, you can also try running a chkdsk and see if anything is amiss. A bad sector forming over a part of the boot files isn't too healthy.

I had thought F8 was safe mode but it was not working. After your post I mashed it repeatedly and evenly got the option to pick my boot device (I picked the hard drive) and then mashed F8 repeatedly again and got the boot options. Their was an option for disable auto restart on system failure so I did that to see the error. The error received is as follows:

Stop: c000021a { Fatal System Error } The session manager Execute Initial Command System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0 x c0000034 (0 x 00000000 0 x 00000000). The system has been shut down.

When I run safe mode the boot fails at SPTD.sys

I looked up SPTD.sys and from what I can find it is part of Daemon Tools, which I do have installed. I found this: http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-53739-Another-guy-with-inexplicable-crashes.html which looks like it could be my problem. I tried the following:

If you are unable to boot into safe mode even if you pressed ESC when prompted, boot with your Windows cd into recovery console, log on to your Windows installation (requires Administrator password), change dir (cd) to Windows\System32\Drivers directory, and rename sptd.sys and dtscsi.sys. Reboot to check if your issue is solved. Note that this will probably NOT work in Vista!
Note that you have to rename sptd.sys back after the problem causing the crash is solved in order to get Daemon Tools working.

and while it no longer hangs at that file I am still unable to boot normally or under safe mode. =( Any ideas?

Back