XP 64 bit and dvd playback

c4eater

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 16, 2002
Messages
143
I've been running xp 64 for a couple + months now and cannot play dvd's on this system. Both windows media and powerdvd(cyberlink) crash on any launch attempt, plus i've tried other playback programs. Wondering if it's just me, or is 64 crippled in this regard?

As an example of issues with 64 , internet explorer 32 will play flash and others whereas 64 IE wont :confused:
 
When I had x64 on my laptop, I had to use Windows Media Player for DVD playback.. I had the same crash problems with PowerDVD (version 6?). I just switched back to x86 xp pro because of other issues and drivers kept giving me BSOD's. Hopefully Vista will be better in x64.
 
Never had windows media player crash on me so I don't think it is an inherent x64 problem but a specific one to your system. Sorry.
 
WMP works fine on my x64 system with DVDs...just watched one last night on it
 
Thx for the replies,...now I know not to give up hope, or rush to vista when available :)
 
I use PowerDVD 5 or the free player VLC to watch dvd's on my xp64 box just fine and dandy ... don't use wmp for dvd watching tho

I dont own PowerDVD6 or newer to test those out

widescreen to 4:3 , headphones to 5.1 surround all work without a hitch

 
Mine works through Power DVD and through Media player as long as a DVD Codec is installed for it.

I've always run Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on this box. Never a problem with that.
 
w@@t nero showtime works for me. I have oems of powerdvd and windows 64 from newegg... must simply have missing codecs :)
 
Back
Top