• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

XP 3200+ and x800pro bottleneck

Nakamori

Gawd
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Messages
530
I swooped in on the ATI refurb promo for the x800pro AGP (170 shipped woo!), figuring that this upgrade from my 9600 will be my last hurrah with the AGP before I move on to bigger and better things. I was just wondering how much of a bottleneck my XP3200 will be, especially considering that I will be running 1024x768 (I'll be in a dorm so im stuck with a 15' lcd; at least its dvi!).
 
interested in getting some feedback on this too. i have a athlon xp 2700+ at 3200+ speeds, interested in getting a x800pro.
 
You wont even notice. The XP3200 should last you a little longer for now. Its what my bro is running with his X800Pro as well.
 
It really depends at what resolution your playing at. If you game at 800x600 than a XP3200+ would definitely be holding you back. At 1280x1024 and up, however, your video card should become the bottleneck.
 
Alright, i just took a look at the 3Dmark05 and 3dmark03 scores, and the scores between the XP 3200+ with the X800pro and the A64 1.8ghz with the X800pro are virtually the same, which means that the vid card bottleneck kicks in somewhere between XP3200 and stock venice 3000+ cpu speeds at 1024x768 resolution with no eye candy. This means that that the 3200+ is indeed plenty powerful enough to deal with the x800pro. At 1024x768 64bit cpu's really only starts to take advantage of the 32 bit cpu's at 6800GT and higher levels, which makes sense.
 
I have the same CPU and I saw a huge difference going from a 9600 to a 6800GT.

You will see the most difference at resolutions 1024X768 or higher.
 
I used to run a AXP-M 2600+ @ 2.535, My frames were much stedier when I switched to A64 3200+, alot of my games run a heck of alot better then they did on my AXP.
 
Back
Top