XP 32 only? Vista 64 only?

Ub3rn00b

[H]ard|Gawd
So...all I do is game. With the occasional video editing and listening to music and web browsing. But mostly game. Mostly COD 4 right now.

I'm currently running the rig in my sig.

I'm soon upgrading to an e8400, gigabyte motherboard, 4 gigs ddr2 1066 (or ddr3 if I can find a good price). I have an 8800GT video card that will be coming along to the new system build.

I've thought about doing a dual boot with XP and Vista 64bit. Any thoughts on this? I was wanting to ONLY install Vista 64, but people keep telling me I'm going to take a performance hit on games that are still using DX 9 and some 32 bit games/applications, etc.

I was thinking about buying 2 500gb hard drives and installing one OS on each of them. I already have another 710gb of hard drives that are nearly full, one of which has my current XP install on it, however will not transfer well to new build since i'm going from AMD to Intel.

Install Vista x64 you won't regret it. With the rig that you speak of the performance "hit' will be negligible.

Besides if you run XP x86 you will not be able to utilize all of your memory which is sad :(

Don't bother with the dual-boot. Been there, done that. Just stick with Vista64.

I agree, Vista 64 will be fine. The performance difference is negligible, and I certainly wouldn't want to maintain two different environments and keep rebooting because one platform might be 2% faster than the other for a certain program.

Yeah go with vista 64 .. you'll be fine. I run a dual boot of vista64 and xp32 but only because if I have to work from home my job has some apps that just flat out don't support vista. If it wasn't for that every machine in my house would be running vista x64 only.

Ok thanks for the advice. I'll go with Vista 64 only then. If there is an impact on gaming performance, I can always format and install XP again :p

I made this decision a few months ago. I went with Vista 64 for my Q6600, 4GB RAM, GT8800 rig.

I must say Vista 64 has been very annoying. Incompatibility issues, slow, locking up now and again, programs acting weird. I was told to expect this and I guess I should have but its been far from smooth sailing.

I've been thinking of going back to XP. I ask myself - what does Vista give me other than some flashy windows and desktop? I guess DX10 too but many say that is overrated at this point. It seems like my 4gb of RAM will not work in Win XP - so I guess I'll stick with Vista.

Just FYI - don't expect everything to work as well as it did in XP!!

Yeah take everything you get from these 'enthusiasts' with a grain of salt. Vista64 or any OS with 64-bits is anything but trouble free. Same applies to XP64, Linux or Vista.

VIsta 64 here (diff partition from XP) no lockups no issues all drivers work. Hmm.

I went back to XP from Vista 64 because of some old programs I have to use. Other then that, all of my hardware worked fine, and the OS was stable.

unless you are the kinda of person who cares about 80 fps going to 77 fps, vista will be fine for you.

unless you are the kinda of person who cares about 80 fps going to 77 fps, vista will be fine for you.

Anything less than 125fps steady is too low for me. But if I go from 128fps to 125fps, that's fine ;)

Back