XP-120 on Asus SLI

pr0zac

Limp Gawd
Just checking real quick. The XP-120 will fit just fine on an Asus SLI in an Antec SOHO case right? See no reason why not, but figure I should ask before I start buying.

-zac

Don't know about the Antec SOHO, but the XP-120 fits just fine on my A8N-SLI.

great, that was the last thing that had kept me from buying one. Now that I double-checked the thermalright website, It becomes abundantly clear that I should be more upset that my wife just spent the $700 I had set aside for my Nforce4 adventure.... oh well.

:mad:

Binkt said:
great, that was the last thing that had kept me from buying one. Now that I double-checked the thermalright website, It becomes abundantly clear that I should be more upset that my wife just spent the $700 I had set aside for my Nforce4 adventure.... oh well.

:mad:

LOL...well...err...maybe good in a way, depending on how much you can allocate to saving the $700.00, by that time there might be a couple more boards out and thus more selection?

Err...I really am trying to make you feel better.

And can also confirm that an XP120 will fit on the motherboard at least. Bit tight, but fits fine with my board in a Lian-Li V1000 (the case on wheels with the motherboard upside down. ;) ).

Only problem I've ever heard of at all, and this has nothing to do with the Thermalright XP120 is some guy had problems mounting the motherboard to the tray of a Thermaltake Shark case. Having said that, I've seen a couple system builders with the A8N-SLI in that case...so I don't know if they did something to mod the motherboard tray, or if the guy having problems was doing something wrong. I didn't have any problems at all putting it in my V1000. ;)

Arvig said:
LOL...well...err...maybe good in a way, depending on how much you can allocate to saving the $700.00, by that time there might be a couple more boards out and thus more selection?

Err...I really am trying to make you feel better.

And can also confirm that an XP120 will fit on the motherboard at least. Bit tight, but fits fine with my board in a Lian-Li V1000 (the case on wheels with the motherboard upside down. ;) ).

Only problem I've ever heard of at all, and this has nothing to do with the Thermalright XP120 is some guy had problems mounting the motherboard to the tray of a Thermaltake Shark case. Having said that, I've seen a couple system builders with the A8N-SLI in that case...so I don't know if they did something to mod the motherboard tray, or if the guy having problems was doing something wrong. I didn't have any problems at all putting it in my V1000. ;)

Thanks for the condolence, man.

Having dabbled in RPG's in my youth, I came away with the firm belief that every character has a balance of perks and flaws... I suppose that the flaw "Spends all of husband's computer money" is balanced by a few perks which I reap the benefits of ... daily, sometimes many times daily ... :)

Have you managed to OC the setup with the XP-120? I am wondering what kind of temps you have in that fancy case.

That's a nice case, I was looking at the same one recently. Any gripes? Specifically, with the powersupply penetration and its restriction of cord lengths?

Binkt said:
Thanks for the condolence, man.

Having dabbled in RPG's in my youth, I came away with the firm belief that every character has a balance of perks and flaws... I suppose that the flaw "Spends all of husband's computer money" is balanced by a few perks which I reap the benefits of ... daily, sometimes many times daily ... :)

Have you managed to OC the setup with the XP-120? I am wondering what kind of temps you have in that fancy case.

That's a nice case, I was looking at the same one recently. Any gripes? Specifically, with the powersupply penetration and its restriction of cord lengths?

ROFL, I perfectly understand the RPG analogy, I'm an old gamer myself. Now I'm just kind of old and gamey, but I digress. ;)

Okay OCing. I am running an AMD 64 FX-55, so remember that it's probably not going to be a strong overclocker. But anyway, I've tried 216 * 13 at 1.575 volts, and 210 * 13 at 1.5 volts, both are stable. CPU temp right now is 40 celcius, I'm currently at 210 * 13, and I was playing a game until maybe 10 minutes ago, so possibly some of the reading is due to still being warm from that. IMO it does vent well, I did add a 120mm blowhole in the top, but I suspect it would even without. For reference, I'm running a 120mm Thermaltake Smart Fan, blows about 82 CFM or so, was running a 103 CFM Panaflo, but I wanted a bit thinner fan due to the XP-120 being thick enough as is. ;)

Cable length actually hasn't been a problem. I did mount my optical drives in the middle two bays, but I think I could have gone top two and still been fine. Only complaint I kind of have is cable management, not many places to hide cables if one has a case window, which I do...everything kind of ended up in two little nests of cables on the bottom. There's not much space in the power supply bay to tuck stuff (and an overlength PSU won't fit), and the other half of the lower bay are the hard drives. I guess one could tuck some there, but then I guess power supply cable lenght becomes a minor issue, unless one has a plug RIGHT next to the hole for the power supply cables/drive cables, one pretty much has to have the cable somewhere on the floor of the case even if it's not going up to one of the optical drives or a graphics card or some such.

If cable lenght is an issue, it is drive cables. My SATA cables are 18" (not using the stock ones in the motherboard package, but some UV reactive ones), they just make it, although I am also trying to keep them fairly flat against the side, not go up the middle of the case. So, I'd suggest about 24" SATA cables for any SATA drives, at least with this motherboard. NForce 3 board, with the ports near the AGP slot would be less of an issue, PCI slot SATA controller probably more so.

Let's see...anything else I can add to the rambling. Not really, other then I'm now down to 38 degrees celcius...and remember, I have the heat of 2 6800 GT's OCed to 400/1005 (as of now) also. ;)

Back