xp-120 lapping

ryuji

2[H]4U
*finished, look farther down*

i think i got the as5 off ;) :p

done with the 600 grit... :D

Very nice, however from what i understand lapping past 600 or so grit may not be of any thermal dynamic benefit. I maybe wrong though

I took my SLK-800 to optical quality using micro finishing compounds (abrasive, not polishes!)

Took my load temps down 10C, don't know what they would be if I stopped at 600 grit, but probably not as good, since 600 grit still has visible scratch marks that could trap air.

you cant see me because i am hiding behind my camera muahahaha

I got some water block lapping to do

I got a range of papers upto 1500 grit, what do I look for in a finishing compound, which ones are recommended for this sort of thing

i didnt use any finishing compounds, i just sanded it under running water up to 2000 grit

I can't find 2000 grit anywhere in the UK, 1500 is the best we appear to have

and you can't get a mirror finish with that

use 3m rubbing compound, you can get it at a auto store, its used for car finishing, its exactly what i would need to do to finish making it perfectly mirror bit its good enough as it is

Your temps go down? I have an XP-120 and I have been very disapointed with it. I was thinking about lapping it, but was unsure if it would bring the temps down any with the A64 heatspreaders.

ryuji said:
use 3m rubbing compound, you can get it at a auto store, its used for car finishing, its exactly what i would need to do to finish making it perfectly mirror bit its good enough as it is
found some on a pinball machine spares website, an order has been placed :D

good job bud, i think i should get soem of that 3m stuff for me stock kit of papers, pads, TIM removers and of course isopropyl hahah

i dont know if they went down, i sold the cpu so i decided what better time to lapp the heat sink then just before you get water cooling lol im such a wierdo, i lapped it when i dont even need the heat sink anymore :rolleyes: i basically did it so i can make it look pretty...

Back