XP-120 installation question

blaze24

n00b
I installed my XP-120 tonight on my Asus A8N premium and as people have said it was hard to do. The only problem is that when I was trying to get it clamped down one side of it would pop up off of the CPU. Will that affect the performance of the heatsink by letting air pockets in? The first time I installed it one side popped up and I took it off and cleaned the cpu off and applied my artic silver again and tried again and the same thing happened. Finally I said im not going to go through that again, I was breaking a sweat getting it installed so I left it alone and continued putting all of my components in. do you think it will be ok?

Fire it up and find out.

Seriously though, you should be fine.

Quick question... Are you using the supplied K8 bracket? The XP-120 is natively setup for s478 retention brackets, and should come included with a K8 one. That is the only way I can see it coming "unclipped," because the fasteners have some nicely angled hooks that should not pop off.

Rig 1: San Diego 3700+ | A8N-SLi Premium | EVGA 6800GT | Corsair XMS 512GB x 2 PC3200 | PCP&C Turbo Cool 510 SLi | WD Raptor 36GB x 2 (RAID 0) | Audigy 2ZS

Rig 2: P4C 3.0 | IC7-MAx3 | EVGA 6800GT | Corsair XMS 512GB x 2 PC2700 | Antec True-Power 550 | WD 400JB

*Overclocking a PC is like tuning a car, except a CPU is a hell of a lot cheaper than a motor!*

Back