XP-120 and MSI Neo2

vtoe

Weaksauce
So, today I recieved my new toys. Only thing Im missing is my Gainward GT and 3500+. I purchased a xp-120 hs from thermalright. Its pretty sweet lookin and read some good reviews on it. One problem. ITS HUGE! I guess that was the point. On the MSI Neo2 it hits a transitor cap thats located smack next to the cpu. I could prolly heat the one pipe up and bend it a bit so its not in the way but it has me wondering about clearance with the HS and GT. I guess Ill have to wait to monday when my video card comes in to take a look at whats on the top side of the card....I also wonder it being so close is going to heat up my video card....

hs1.jpg

hs2.jpg

This is my old gf3ti500 just to looks
hs3.jpg

hs4.jpg

vtoe

Holy mcshit batman! That is the mother of all heatsinks...

Sorry to hear it conflicts with the new toys :/

If they don't work out you can always send them my way. :)

Somone else tell him he's silly for thinkin that monstrosity would fit in the first place...

Still looks pretty sweet, though.

that first picture makes it look like it isn't put on right; although the last picture looks like it is seated correctly.

you say that a piece of the metal is hiting a mosfet? that's bad. you don't want to short anything out.

man, that baby looks sweet, nice and beautiful. :)

I just wish it would fit my PBZ.

wallijonn said:
that first picture makes it look like it isn't put on right; although the last picture looks like it is seated correctly.

you say that a piece of the metal is hiting a mosfet? that's bad. you don't want to short anything out.

man, that baby looks sweet, nice and beautiful. :)

I just wish it would fit my PBZ.

The HS is not seated at all. I have it eyed up where its going to fit in the last picture without being directly on center.

Yah, I might be naive since I have no experience with this HS but I think you got the heatsink facing the wrong direction. Try turning it a full 180 degrees.

Thermalright says it should be compatible...
http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_support_faq_motherboard_xp120_k8.htm

So yah, by the looks of it, it simply seems like you have facing the wrong way ;) .

Cheers! :D

I just realised that if you flipped it, the RAM would be blocked... Sorry...

When I emailed Thermalright they said it would fit with no problems :\
Update us all when you get everything in and installed, I'm planning to get the Neo2 and XP-120 myself :)

ZeroBullet said:
When I emailed Thermalright they said it would fit with no problems :\
Update us all when you get everything in and installed, I'm planning to get the Neo2 and XP-120 myself :)
Yea i emailed them this morning along with a link to my pics. Im 100% positive Im mounting it the right way. When you emailed them did you mention that it was a 939 socket board?

Also if I flipped the HS 180 degrees I would be blocking my agp slot. As you can see in the last pic. My hs is almost completely covering my dimms.

Ill keep you up to date.

vtoe

I didn't mention s939 specifically, I just gave them the exact MSI model name. I think...I may have said 939 also ;)
How tight is it over the ram slots? Are all four still at least accessible?

Btw, can anyone identify the orange surface the board is sitting on? :p

ehZn said:
Btw, can anyone identify the orange surface the board is sitting on? :p

And I was going to give you my trusty static mat for xmas. Not anymore!
:D

Tech support emailed me back from thermalright. Here is what they said.

"Hi,

I would suggest tilting that capacitor instead. Well, of course, one would feel more comfortable in doing so if two "feet" of the capacitor are parallel to video card.

It's not a good idea to bend the pipes which may result damage to the pipe. The pipes are hollow but there are "texture" on the surface inside which is fragile to further bending.

Best Regards,

Bob"

Theres no way I could or would bend the cap on my board. I would much rather bend the pipe, which Im prolly going to do. Ill post some pics of it after I do.

vToe

Heh, no surprise they're going to tell you to damage another manufacturer's component before their own :p

Still interested in how you worked this out. Some more pic would be great too!

You've got it on right. The other way the heat pipes hit the top of the RAM chips.

I'm using the 120 with an FX-53 and the MSI Neo2 since last week. It clears the video card by 3/8 of an inch. It runs cool, so I've had no concerns about melting the video card.
System runs great.

RippedFlip said:
You've got it on right. The other way the heat pipes hit the top of the RAM chips.

I'm using the 120 with an FX-53 and the MSI Neo2 since last week. It clears the video card by 3/8 of an inch. It runs cool, so I've had no concerns about melting the video card.
System runs great.

Did you bend the pipe?! I am still waitin on my cpu to come in.....

I would also like to know how things pan out with the MSI and AMD CPU socket 939 combo, as I have the same. However, I don't think it will work for me because I have the BFG 6800 Ultra OC video card and it's BIG requiring two slots, 1 AGP and the empty PCI slot right below it. Plus the factory installed fan that kit that wraps the most of the card makes it bigger.

The other downside is that AMD voids the warranty if you install a 3rd party heat sink/fan, but I know many people do this anyway. So it's really a question of what will work with this mobo, CPU, video card combo. What do you think about the Zalman, will it work with socket 939 mobo/CPU? Also, has anyone seen or can find the new Zalman CPU Cooler for Athlon64 and FX-53 CNPS7000B-Cu? It's the revised "B" version, and seems like it may be a fit but I couldn't confirm it on their web site. I would like to use the XP-120 but just don't see how it can possible fit given the size and my video card. What about removing it since it's such a tight fit? With the parts so close I don't see how working on or adding parts is going to be easy to do, especially with the XP-120.

Please keep us posted on how things work out and if there were any problems installing. I'm worried that I may damage my CPU removing the factory unit and installing a 3rd party unit. Any advice or help there would be appreciated as well (I know to use Artic Silver 5).

BTW, that's the worst email from a company I have ever seen advising you to "bend" a part on your mobo. They must be complete idiots if they think you won't damage or at least weaken it. Sheesh!!!!

HITekJeff said:
I would also like to know how things pan out with the MSI and AMD CPU socket 939 combo, as I have the same. However, I don't think it will work for me because I have the BFG 6800 Ultra OC video card and it's BIG requiring two slots, 1 AGP and the empty PCI slot right below it. Plus the factory installed fan that kit that wraps the most of the card makes it bigger.

My video card is the ASUS V9999 Ultra, also a 6800 card. It uses only the AGP slot. There is about 5 mm clearance between the card and heatsink. Since the AGP slot is closer to the heatsink, it shouldn't interfere with the card in the PCI slot.

RippedFlip said:

System runs great.

RippedFlip said:
No need to bend the pipe. It fit fine in my motherboard.

We have the same board.......
How is it possible that yours fits and mine doesnt?

I am kinda thinkin about not bending the pipe and returning it. I planned on mounting an aluminum fan to the top if it but Im worried about a weight issue. I dont like the way a huge 120mm plastic fan would look sittin on my sexah mobo
:p

Back