XP-120 and Arctic Silver 5

PlaidJello

n00b
A question to those who own this heatsink and used AS. Simply, how did you apply it. Since the unit clips in on one side and swings to the other, it doesn't seem like it would lend itself well to the grain of rice technique where the heatsink plops down squarely from above. Thanks

what processor are you installing it on? a 754 a64? i would just use a plastic bag and spread the as5 lightly the processor using ur finger inside the bag.

^^^^^ thats what you do on the heatsink before installing, then you rub it off (fills microscopic nerdy valleys). Use a credit card or video store card to spread a thin layer on the CPU before installing. With the p4 and a64, a BB sized blob squished would do the job nicely, cause you can lower it evenly and clip it while having it pressed down. If its an athlon xp, just do the credit card thing.

he knows how to put the AS on, but the specific way his heatsink goes on isn't like a traditional one.

ANyways just apply the AS and pull up slightly on the heatsink and swing it over.

I love how many threads get opened and replied to on this subject. Go to arctic silver's website (the URL on the side of the tube). Read the instructions. I've observed NO demonstrable performance gain from the spread-it-super-thin-with-random-tool method. Put a dot in the middle, mate your hsf to your processor in a smoothe motion and keep good pressure there. If you're super anal-retentive and MUST have the perfect mate, practice a few time before you apply your TIM to develop a little muscle memory. Once you've gotten a few cycles of heating and cooling through the mated HSF/Processor heatspreader, your temps will even out. So no flipping out in thread if you fire your machine up the first time and your temperatures aren't super low. Patience is a virtue.

supreme advice. and in addition to this thermalright has instructions on mounting the xp-120 on their site. complete with pictures. i just bought one of these and the board/processor it will be mounted on is the exact one that they have in their demo. anyway, check out thermalright and A.S.'s websites. that will tell you the correct way to do it.

PlaidJello said:
A question to those who own this heatsink and used AS. Simply, how did you apply it. Since the unit clips in on one side and swings to the other, it doesn't seem like it would lend itself well to the grain of rice technique where the heatsink plops down squarely from above. Thanks

if you haven't installed it already, be sure not to try with the mobo mounted in the case....if it is mounted in the case, remove the ram, the PSU and any PCI/AGP cards, you'll need the room.

carefully lower the xp-120 on top of the cpu (I used two or three bb's worth of AS5 in the middle of the processor after applying and removing a thin layer to the bottom of the xp-120 and the cpu). once the xp-120 has been lowered into place (so that the clips are lined up with the slots), clip the hardest to reach clip first, while applying even pressure (to prevent the swinging motion) with your hand on top of the xp-120. Then clip the opposite corner down (bottom left / top right or top left / bottom right) and it won't swing anymore. Finish off by clipping the other two into place.

The rest of the installation is much easier if you do opposite corners first - although it is still difficult to push the clips down into the slots. I'd also recommend against using a screw driver as a lever against the xp-120 as the fins of the HS bend easily (and unbend easily thankfully).

Back