XP-120 and A8N-SLI Premium (another thread!)

G'morning all,

While there are a few threads on this, none contain what I wanted to know.

I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium; I installed an XP-120 and used Ceramique on my X2 4400+ on Sunday. I had a very hard time getting the clips under the bracket (the one that came with the XP-120) on the left side, the side the northbridge is on. I was able to get one corner on (upper left), but the other side (lower left) I had to use the file on my Leatherman to push down the clip on the XP-120 until it fit under the bracket.

I'm using a Nexus Real Silent 120mm on it, plugged into the CPU_FAN jack; it's running at about 1100 RPMs according to SpeedFan and EVEREST.

I'm only seeing a 1-2 degree difference, leading me to think that in my endeavours to get the HSF installed, the TIM got all pushed around. :( I was previously using a Tt A1772.

1) How did you get that side of the XP-120 installed?
2) How can I increase the RPM of the fan? Not permanently, just to see what happens. I tried SpeedFan but couldn't get it to do anything.

I'll probably reinstall it next Sunday if it stays this way.

Thank you! :)

regarding controlling the fan via speedfan, try this

1) go to options
2) in the advanced tab, select IT8712F (thats what its called on my a8n-sli deluxe) or whatever the first entry is
3) change the pwm 1 mode from SmartGuardian (bios controlled) to Software controlled. This should allow you to control the fan 1 via speedfan. Just change it back when you're done experimenting

I strongly suggest installing the HS with the mobo out of the case. I also had to bend(only slightly) the clips to make it easier to install. Depending on your case, this may make reinstalling the mobo difficult. Hopefully you're not using a LL V1000 case with that HS and mobo. It's a pain. Good luck.

Back