• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Xonar Essence STX Owners...

First of all, I don't have the Essence, but I did use the HDAV1.3, so I'm familiar with the Asus CP.

As far as I know, applications should follow the rules on the ASUS CP first, before looking at Windows CP. The Windows CP becomes more important when you have multiple soundcards in your system. At least that's how X-Fi cards work, and I assume ASUS works the same way. But yes, I am aware of the problem, in a few occasions my HDAV1.3 CP and Windows CP failed to stay in sync.

With that in mind, there is absolutely no difference between which one you use, as long as they are both Stereo. The only real difference is the DSP technologies available to them. 2-speakers has Virtual Speaker, while headphone has Dolby Headphone. They made it that way, so you only see the best options for that particular listening mode and the one ASUS thinks sounds the best, not because one or the other is wrong. So yes, they are the same, just make sure the DPS mode you enjoy is available.

Here is a quote from a Moderator from the official ASUS website:
Hi J,

That's really interesting suggestion, sure I'll pass it to our SW team for consideration.
However, just also for your information, in our mass test, people do feel odd/uncomfortable when applying Dolby Virtual Speaker to headphone settings, and likewise, odd/uncomfortable when applying Virtual Headphone to speaker settings, the HRTF algorithm from Dolby just wasn't designed to use that way, that's why we take it out from headphone setting to prevent confusions.


Thanks again for your suggestions, we'll do more test to see how it goes.


Best,
yoyolai

Ok, good luck.
 
Back
Top