• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

xonar d2x quiet after pc upgrade

chrcoluk

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
1,274
Ok so I upgraded my rig but kept the same soundcard.

The sound output is now much quieter than before the upgrade, before at 40-50% volume the sound was loud, now at 100% is sort of normal level but not loud, its as if the amplifier isnt working or something.

Bit of googling suggests its a power problem on the card.

It was difficult to unplug the floppy power cable when dissasembling the old rig, but as far as I know I havent damaged the card. Its the same psu and floppy power connector been used now.

Any thoughts on this?

It is not just volume either with the headphones on the sound isnt quite as clear as well as not been as loud.
 
What was the extent of your upgrade? Have you ruled possible software/setup issues that may have occurred? Individual volume settings, sound enhancements (loudness EQ toggle, other driver specific stuff) under playback devices? Or in the card software?
 
Could be driver issue I am aware, I am on a different driver version to previous (now on latest before wasnt, will test this tommorow).

If you check my sig can see old and new setup so basically.

Motherboard changed.
Cpu changed
Ram now also changed (although with old ram issue was still there).
Gpu now changed (initially had old gpu and was same).
Case changed.

PSU same.
Speakers/headphones same.

Windows reinstalled. Same OS as before but reinstalled.

Configuration in audio, as far as I am aware nothing set to lower it. Have been fiddling to try and fix but no success. SVN (normalisation) helps, without it, its very bad.

Also in this case when slotting in the card it feels like it doesnt go down quite all the way into the pci-e slot but I cant put in further as its all the way in the case slot.

In terms of the floppy connector, the white plastic bit (its built cheap in my view) slides forward a lot when removing so I have to push it back again when recconecting.
 
Had the same problem, it was the floppy power cord slightly disconnect..modular psu so, easy to fix.
 
ok I downgraded to my original drivers, all effect buttons started working again (a few were broken on latest), found some hidden volume controls that control each speaker seperate (different to main volume control). Combined with a few other things I remembered I tuned the sound is noticebly better although I am not convinced its as loud as it was but at least is now loud enough if I max out the volumne its too loud so thats a good sign.

I then uninstalled the lot to clear it out and installed what is the latest stable version (absolute latest wasnt marked stable) and all seems much better now, and as a reminder I am using the unified xonar unofficial drtivers now official.

The version I am using now is 1.64 rev.2 and the one that didnt work very well was 1.72.

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/
 
thanks for the update info,I was using their 1.71 drivers in 8.1 pro with good success other than needing to restart a file to get sound sometimes

the new ones installed with no presented problems and sound is good quality
 
Last edited:
Well I think it still isnt as good as it was, so I need to do more work on this, but the 1.6 drivers do seem better for me in win7.
 
Back
Top