• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Xonar D2X on P5N32-E SLI

Kinyin

n00b
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
42
Basically, will it fit?

ASUS decided to put a three-story tall heatsink about an inch from the PCI-E 1x slot. Has anyone had success getting this to work out? I placed spare card I had against the slot to check and it appears that the back of the card might touch the heatsink (or possibly not by no more than a hair) and I am not sure if that would cause a short, considering it is mostly PCB. Possibly I could slide something inbetween the two that is resistant to heat and non-conducting?

The reason I am looking into the D2X is because I ordered a third 8800 GTX and won't have access to PCI slots.

While I am at it, anyone have any suggestions in case it doesn't fit? Any good external sound cards that would work with the Z5500 Speakers from Logitech?

Thank you all and I hope to hear back soon.
 
I would be very surprised if it wouldn't fit. ATX is a standard, every ATX motherboard must respect this standard. The asus heatsink may be close, but it should not touch.

And if it indeed does not fit (which would be very surprising), no other card will fit.
 
I would be very surprised if it wouldn't fit. ATX is a standard, every ATX motherboard must respect this standard. The asus heatsink may be close, but it should not touch.

And if it indeed does not fit (which would be very surprising), no other card will fit.

Actually mobo makers break the atx spec all the time. I know there was a few 939 boards that had too tall chipset heatsinks that caused problems.
 
How tall is this heatsink ??

EDIT :

Look carefuly, this slot is not a pci-e slot, it's a modified connector to fit the Soundcard that come with the ''Plus'' version of your board.You can't stick anything in there.
 
An inch to one and one-eighths. It's tall, so if it is in the way, you won't be able to get by. The thing is, I held a card up and, though it was a normal PCI, it looks like it might fit, but the back of the PCB would probably be flush with the heatsink. Heat isn't an issue, I don't want to short the card, so I am not sure if it would or would not or if I could just insulate it.
 
How tall is this heatsink ??

EDIT :

Look carefuly, this slot is not a pci-e slot, it's a modified connector to fit the Soundcard that come with the ''Plus'' version of your board.You can't stick anything in there.

Thank you for pointing that out. They both look similar and it seems the true 1x slot was being covered by a video card.

Well, now that that is out of the way, can you suggest any alternatives? Any good external soundcards?
 
A good external sound card ? :rolleyes:

Welcome to the club, make sure you post when you find one ...
 
Back
Top