• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Xonar D2X, no 5.1

Baer

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
253
I have a new Xonar D2X running with Win 7 Ult, the full comercial version. I am using the latest beta drivers from Asus. I can only get 2.1 sound from any sorce. When using the speaker test in the Xonar D2X audio center I can hear all six (5.1) speakers but not when playing music or DVD's.
Is anyone else having this issue? I suspect that Asus does not as yet have true WIndows 7 drivers but I do not know for sure that is the cause.
 
What is the audio settings in Win 7 set for? Normally they are automatically set to be the same as what you set in the Asus control panel, but maybe that is dorked in the betas? I'm using the Vista drivers for my DX on Win 7 and have 5.1 - with 5.1 set in the Win 7 audio properties box.
 
Hmmm, Win 7 sound in control pannel does not give me speakers options. Audio out in the Xonar pannel is set for 5.1
 
OK, I found the configure button in contrl Pnl sounds and set it for 5.1 and the speaker test sounds all speakers just as the speaker test in the Xonar App does so now both the Windows setting and the Xonar D2X audio App are set for 5.1 but still no music from the center and surround speakers.
 
What are the setting in the Asus control panel. Since the music is probably stereo, you are going to have to have it set to upmix - and I'm not sure it is set that way by default if you select 5.1 channel output in the control panel. Maybe take a screenshot of your Asus control panel settings? Do movies with 5.1 channel audio play in 5.1?
 
I'm using Win 7 (non-retail) with the latest Asus drivers and the Xonar D2, which should be identical to your card, except that it's not PCI-E.

> I can only get 2.1 sound from any sorce.
In that case, it is normal that you get stereo output. If you want to hear 2 channel inputs on 6 or 8 channel outputs, you need to go to the Asus control panel and set your inputs to 2 channel stereo (not 5.1) and outputs to 5.1 or 7.1. You should not need to adjust anything within Windows 7.
 
Got it!!:D the issue was a left over driver from the Supreme FX sound riser that comes with the Rampage II. (CiMi Config from C Media) . When I disabled it the Xonar imediatly responded bu sending sound to all 5.1. I am using rebuilt and upgraded Klipsch Ultra's. The sound is amazing. THey sounded great with my X-Fi on my QX6700 Vista rig but on this rig with the Xonar set at a higher sampling rate it is studio quality.
Thanks all, you lead me in the right direction and kept me from thinking it was just an imature Win 7 driver issue.
 
Back
Top