• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Xigmatek-S1283, should I pull the trigger?

Kr1z

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
1,305
I'm looking for cooler for my Q6600, I currently, have a Tuniq Tower 120, but it is obstructing any airflow from getting out, I was gona get a TRUE, but then I read about this new cooler for half the price, and same performance. Should I go for it? Is it possible to mount two fans on this cooler?
 
Yes. Best price/performance ratio'ed HSF on the market.

Not possible to mount two fans ... though I suppose you could be inventive with some zip ties and rig up a ghetto solution.
 
I'm looking for cooler for my Q6600, I currently, have a Tuniq Tower 120, but it is obstructing any airflow from getting out, I was gona get a TRUE, but then I read about this new cooler for half the price, and same performance. Should I go for it? Is it possible to mount two fans on this cooler?

what case are you using now? what motherboard and fan setup are you using? I can't imagine the tuniq obstructing airflow to the point where you need a different cooler. seems like a waste of $30 for the xigma.
 
what case are you using now? what motherboard and fan setup are you using? I can't imagine the tuniq obstructing airflow to the point where you need a different cooler. seems like a waste of $30 for the xigma.

agreed, the tuniq should be more than adequate.
 
what case are you using now? what motherboard and fan setup are you using? I can't imagine the tuniq obstructing airflow to the point where you need a different cooler. seems like a waste of $30 for the xigma.

aAntec 1200, evga 780i, all 8 fans that the antec 1200 can hold with Antec Tri-Cools.
 
aAntec 1200, evga 780i, all 8 fans that the antec 1200 can hold with Antec Tri-Cools.

You are just wasting money getting the 1283 then. Its going to be about 2C cooler than the Tuniq, if that.
 
e3110 at 3.6GHZ w/stock voltage, running about 55-57c with the Xig s1283. That seems high to me. Anyone have feedback about what temps I should be hitting with this cooler? I want to know if I need to reseat it. Using Tunic TX2 paste. I have it mounted so the center heat pipe runs parallel with the cores (fan blowing up).
 
I've heard of people pushing high 40's with this. I must not of mounted it right I don't like this.
 
i'm high 40's-mid 50's depending on overclock and ambient...on a Q6600...

and it is possible to mount 2 fans...

you need at least 2 pieces of 8-32 threaded rod and 4 nuts...(2 locking, 2 regular)

....you see where i'm going with this right?

XIGMATEK SANDWICH!

and it works rather well i might add...but 120x38mm deltas are a wee bit too much...i'd suggest some quiet 120x25mm fans...
 
I've heard of people pushing high 40's with this. I must not of mounted it right I don't like this.

Your temps are perfectly fine. There's no use nitpicking about whether or not they're a little high if it isn't causing any problems or getting into dangerous territory.
 
e3110 at 3.6GHZ w/stock voltage, running about 55-57c with the Xig s1283. That seems high to me. Anyone have feedback about what temps I should be hitting with this cooler? I want to know if I need to reseat it. Using Tunic TX2 paste. I have it mounted so the center heat pipe runs parallel with the cores (fan blowing up).

Try mounting it the other way.
 
I bought it last week, only saw a 1c drop and that was with two high powered scythe fans, opposed to my Tuniq Tower 120 with a cheap medium speed Yate Loon. Returned the Xigmatek today.
Q6600@ 1.240 3.15GHZ low 30's idle, 50-low 50s load. Good enough for me.
 
@ stock 3ghz my idle was about 36 (with fan set to 10%) and load was around 51.

Think I'm going to try to rotate it.
 
I just last week installed a Xigmatek S1283 onto an E8400. My MB is an Asus P5B-D, and the case is a 'medium" on the small side
LianLi A-16. I did use the backplate, which you have to purchase seperately. It fits fine. Here is a link to my case, if you want to see the size and compare it to yours:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=21232

It was the first time I installed something like this, and it went very well....easier than I expected.

System is NOT OC'd...yet...

Just played COD WaW w/ my son... cpu temp= 44c
no load cpu temp=38c

Answers the question, doesn't it?


Brian
 
I'm not taking into consideration my ambient temp though. I was sweating last night while working on it so I expect my room was 75 degrees or so. I used the normal push pins. They are a little more difficult to work with than the stock push pins but I got it.

Did you use the paste that came with it? <-- important question


What application method did you use? I used this one. You can find other methods here.

Which way did you orient the fan?


I heard the included paste is pretty good stuff. I used Tuniq TX2 but I have maybe 1 more shot left. I'm considerint picking up come TC grease 0098.
 
I installed the Xigmatek-S1283 last night on my machine.

However I think the Asus Probe is not reporting correctly. It is reporting my idle temp at 10 C and the motherboard temp at 30 C which just does not seem correct.

What should be a good idle temperature range?
 
I have the Xigmatek in an Antec P182 case with a Q6600 on a P5Q Pro mobo. I have it mounted so the fan blows out (through the heatsink) the top of the P182. I have the voltage set to 1.265 and run at 3Ghz. I idle at 28-30 and the top temperature I've seen is 47 during prime 95 (only ran for about 30 minutes).
 
Back
Top