XiFi vs. Audiy 2zs

wwhittin

n00b
I have an audigy 2zs, is the XiFi really anybetter, please let me know what you think.

It will make a difference in games that make use of the XFI hardware (such as BF2 and BF2142) cause you can have more sounds and such only with an XFI card.

But besides that, both are good cards.

BF2 doesn't utilize any EAX 5.0 features, whereas BF2142 does, so that's correct.

The number of titles that truly utilize EAX 5.0 is slim, unfortunately.

with the advent of Vista, EAX support is going to die as we are going to see openAL based games in the market.

I found Xfi to be fantastic especially in games except your still stuck with shit ass creative software and drivers

What is the difference between a Audigy 2 ZS and an Audigy 2 (pulled from a Dell)?

My Audigy 2 sounds excellent compared to some onboard sounds I've heard in the past... am I missing anything that I should get a ZS?

My primary would be for music/movies... I don't have a 7.1 setup or any expensive headphones yet (some beater Maxells from back in the age, since I use them every day on my uni campus, can't afford to bring out Grados/etc type of headphones and ruin them).

Edit: Sorry for the hijack XD

My Audigy 2 sounds excellent compared to some onboard sounds I've heard in the past... am I missing anything that I should get a ZS?

Nothing really.

and then Alchemy will convert Direct sound calls to openal for Direct sound games in vista. so you dont have to worry about direct sound games nothing sounding the way they should any more. With alchemy, since it works with most of the Direct Sound games i tried.

BF2 doesn't utilize any EAX 5.0 features, whereas BF2142 does, so that's correct.

The number of titles that truly utilize EAX 5.0 is slim, unfortunately.
BF2 makes excellent use of the X-Fi and EAX AdvancedHD. The ultra mode for the X-Fi uses 128 voices which is the spec for EAX 5.0.

http://www.soundblaster.com/eax/gaming/gameindex.asp?gameID=55884
"Battlefield™ 2 is going to be an amazing gaming experience, and the soundtrack will play a central role in bringing the Battlefield™ to life like never before. Technologies such as OpenAL and EAX® ADVANCED HD™ help us to stay at the cutting edge of PC audio. OpenAL enables us to ensure that gamers enjoy good frame rates and excellent 3D audio for robust gameplay on a wide range of systems. On supported hardware you will experience pinpoint multi-speaker 3D sound positioning and additional enhancements such as EAX® Environmental Reverb and filtering without added strain on your CPU."
Here is what the in game settings look like with a X-Fi.
BF2Sound.PNG

But yeah, besides the BF games, there isn't much that uses the X-Fi past what a Audigy 2 could do.

The X-Fi function allows for 128 voice support, of which EAX 5.0 is not a prerequisite.

As Moofasa pointed out the other day, BF2 is an EAX 3.0 title.

Quick edit: EAX Advanced HD is EAX 3.0+, by the way, not specifically EAX 4.0 or 5.0.

Back