Xiaomi Mi8 Explorer Edition

CHANG3D

Supreme [H]ardness
xiaomi-1024x768.jpg

http://blog.mi.com/en/2018/05/31/ne...-innovations-with-groundbreaking-mi-8-series/

Cheaper than the OnePlus 6 with same specs (SD845, 8GB RAM)

As compared to OP6,

Pro:
In screen fingerprint reader.
Pressure sensitive display.
3D face unlock.
Dual GPS.
And most importantly a camera that scored 105 at DxOMark. (Cumulative at 99 with a video score of 95.)
This proves to me that had Oppo wanted to, they could have gotten a good camera in the OP6. If Huawei and Xiaomi could, so could Oppo!

Con:
MIUI
MIUI
MIUI
MIUI
MIUI

Although in MIUI's defense, it's still better than TouchWiz. But stop it with the unnecessary chins! (They both have chins.)

xiaomi-mi-8-se-840x630.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 77961

http://blog.mi.com/en/2018/05/31/ne...-innovations-with-groundbreaking-mi-8-series/

Cheaper than the OnePlus 6 with same specs (SD845, 8GB RAM)

Pro:
In screen fingerprint reader.
Pressure sensitive display.
3D face unlock.
Dual GPS.
And most importantly a camera that scored 105 at DxOMark.

Con:
MIUI
MIUI
MIUI
MIUI
Chin

Although in MIUI's defense, it's still better than TouchWiz. But stop it with the unnecessary chins!

Can you even get this outside of China? I thought the Explorer Edition had the clear back?

Can you even get this outside of China? I thought the Explorer Edition had the clear back?
I'm not aware that [H] is an USA specific website... Not that I live in China or anything, but I will be expecting to be going to Taiwan for a week or so later this year.

And the press render or shot of the transparent Mi8 is supposedly faked because that's not where the chips are supposed to be or something, according to articles I've read.

But here is is:
mi8e_02.jpg

I'm not aware that [H] is an USA specific website... Not that I live in China or anything, but I will be expecting to be going to Taiwan for a week or so later this year.

And the press render or shot of the transparent Mi8 is supposedly faked because that's not where the chips are supposed to be or something, according to articles I've read.

But here is is:
View attachment 77980

[H] is not, I was hoping that you knew something about global availability that I had not heard as the Mi8 seems like the real Flagship Killer at $420 with those specs and a camera that is ranked right there with the S9+.

I would be in for one if it was fully compatible in the US.

[H] is not, I was hoping that you knew something about global availability that I had not heard as the Mi8 seems like the real Flagship Killer at $420 with those specs and a camera that is ranked right there with the S9+.

I would be in for one if it was fully compatible in the US.
it's $580 for the version with the in display fingerprint reader and 8GB with 128GB of storage

Afaik the explore edition has smaller battery than the vanilla. It makes it a worse deal.

Unfortunately they made Mi8 a phablet. The SE version looks more interesting thanks to its better form factor. Though, Honor 10 might be a better deal.

My wife just got the Mi 8 SE (on a business trip in Sing) -- superb phone. Without a doubt the nicest "mid-range" phone I've ever seen. As for design, however, it looks and feels exactly like an iPhone with Android.

On a related not, I was able to get my hands on the Mi Mix 2 last year, and if it had a 3.5mm jack and an OLED screen it would have been the best phone in history IMO. The ceramic body was ridiculously nice, total game changer in my view, and unlike the Mi8 which is an iPhone copy, is unique in the world of phones. I'm keenly awaiting the Mix 3 which is supposed to be incoming this fall.

Back