Xgp!?!

i think it stands for xtended graphics port.

basically a agp slot on the pci bus ;)

It's no doubt the same useless crap that AGP Express is. Dual PCI buses attached to a AGP slot.

So you get asstastic bandwidth and no support for AGP functions. So while you can technically put an AGP card in there, its performance would never exceed Geforce 5200 speeds.

In a *few* situatiions its a good thing. For example, I only have a 440mx so for me using an XGP as an interim solution to PCIe is just fine but for most people its not a very good solution.

It would be good in the sitution I am in. When your going to buy a PCIE video card after you buy a PCIE motherboard.

XSNiper said:
It would be good in the sitution I am in. When your going to buy a PCIE video card after you buy a PCIE motherboard.

I think that in your situation it would not be a good idea. A 5900 would probably take quite a performance hit running in a XGP slot. If you can live with the decreased performance for awhile then I guess...

Its for people to stupid to save their money for new platforms.
The ones that go out and MUST have the new chipset, but can't afford anything thats supposed to go with it.

Excuse me. I must have missed the point where smacktards entered these forums.

MeanieMan said:
Its for people to stupid to save their money for new platforms.
The ones that go out and MUST have the new chipset, but can't afford anything thats supposed to go with it.
so you are telling me you have never upgraded before and used something from your old system

its good for those who upgrade in stages, which i have done, i know i cant afford to get the best of everything (proc., video card, motherboard, case and ram) all in one go.

msi has a similar board for S754 that has pci-e and an agr slot (that runs off the pci bus)for agp cards... sure the agp card takes a performance hit, but once you go to pci-e everything will be ok.

yes..it would...the AGP slot is combining the bandwith of 2 pci slots (i think its 2, may be 1) and using it for the AGP card...the bandwith is much less thn a normal AGP slot, so less data can get through per second, thus meaning greatly decreased performance

agp 8X not only has an exponetially higher (266mbps vs. 2.1gbps) bandwidth than that of two PCI busses - it has GART, which allows it direct access to teh system memory to store textures that overflow from the VRAM. without GART, AGP sucks. a review was done a while back on the utilized bandwidth of the differnt AGP busses and PCI. there was nil difference between 8x and 4x.. a small diff between 4x and 2x. a somewhat larger difference betwen 1x and 2x... but the biggest difference was between 1x and PCI - why? although they are running at the same speed (33mhz) and had teh same througput at that time, GART made AGP super effcient compared to PCI.

a radeon 9800 would be super choked - and the slot has been known to kill cards over time.

and pstang - there is a 10-line limit on sigs here, you need to shorten that quite a bit

A Radeon 9800 pro would take a huge hit. Check out this review of the ECS 915P-a (A similar board with "AGP express")
(link)
Its basically giving you < AGP 2x performance, and that would certainly limit a 9800 pro.
I've also heard that the interface can actually DAMAGE a card over time, so it's certainly not a long-term solution.

lithium726 said:
agp 8X not only has an exponetially higher (66mbps vs. 2.1gbps) bandwidth than that of two PCI busses - it has GART, which allows it direct access to teh system memory to store textures that overflow from the VRAM. without GART, AGP sucks. a review was done a while back on the utilized bandwidth of the differnt AGP busses and PCI. there was nil difference between 8x and 4x.. a small diff between 4x and 2x. a somewhat larger difference betwen 1x and 2x... but the biggest difference was between 1x and PCI - why? although they are running at the same speed (33mhz) and had teh same througput at that time, GART made AGP super effcient compared to PCI.
First off, AGP1x is double the PCI bus. Don't believe me? What's 2.1GB/s divided by 8? This would play a HUGE role in the performance difference between PCI and AGP1x, probably larger than the addition of GART- although you are right, GART is a very significant technology.

Second, I believe that when they say combining two PCI slots, they mean power-wise. PCI is a shared bus, so you can link as many slots together as you like- you won't get past the 133MB/s shared bandwidth offered by the PCI bus.

oh - my bad about the 1x thing - couldnt remember if it was the same or slightly higher. anyway, it wouldnt play as big a part as you think - go get an FX5600 PCI-X card (ie, 66mhz, 266mbps i believe) and compare it to an AGP card( maybe with the bios limiting the bus to 1x or 2x.. lol) and bench em. the AGP card will take off ahead of teh PCI-X card

in any case, the main reason these things suck so much is because ofthe lack of GART - if it had that, the bandwidth wouldnt matter as much, although it would still be significant.

also, when they say it has two PCI busses - i do believe that they are talking about two independent busses, like how tyan (and others)implement their PCI-X slots, they give independent PCI-X busses to slots to improve performance. i belive that is why this "XGP" thing is at least close to AGP 2x.

lithium726 said:
also, when they say it has two PCI busses - i do believe that they are talking about two independent busses, like how tyan (and others)implement their PCI-X slots, they give independent PCI-X busses to slots to improve performance. i belive that is why this "XGP" thing is at least close to AGP 2x.
Regarding two independent busses, the chipset is incapable of driving two independent busses- the only way to do that would be to have an auxiliary chip for a PCI-X type controller, and I don't believe any of the boards have that onboard.

Even if you are right, two independent PCI buses would still only supply 266MB/s, which is AGP1x.

while what you are saying does make sense - it just doesnt comply with the performance the slots are getting.. with one PCI bus going into them, the performance would be even less tahn it already is.

lithium726 said:
in any case, the main reason these things suck so much is because ofthe lack of GART - if it had that, the bandwidth wouldnt matter as much, although it would still be significant.

The bandwidth wouldnt matter much at all, untill you played a game with shaders, then it would kill you.

But yeah, lack of GART is the biggest killer. I saw first had 2 days ago what the lack of AGP does to your performance. ATI drivers always disable some part of my AGP when i install them (AGP read/write), but this time i forgot to check to re-enable it and i went and played NFSU2. Wow that was a shocker. SOme places ran at almost the same speed as normal, but get a few cars and such on screen and perform just went. Trust me, getting ~5 FPS on an X800 XT PE in NFSU2 is something you never wnat to see. After that i went an enabled AGP reads and was right back up to 25-30 FPS. Thats the impact it has. 25 fps to 5 fps :eek: .

I can understand the advantage is gives regarding upgrades, but whats the point in upgrading to something thats going to kill your gaming performance? You might as well just wait till you had the money for a card too. Otherwise you 'upgrade' your computer to lower your gaming performance by up to 4-5 fold, when you could just wait with your current system and get better performance till you have the money.

The bandwidth wouldnt matter much at all, untill you played a game with shaders, then it would kill you.
although not as significant as the loss of GART, you better believe going from 2.1gbps to 133mbps is going to matter a hell of a lot - the PCI bus becomes overloaded with HD content and Gb-e, what do think is going to happen to it when doom3 is put on it?

choke-choke-choke and choke some more.

I think you give raw bandwidth a little bit too much credit- one of the reasons graphics companies started putting so much RAM on the video card was to reduce the dependence on the AGP throughput. With modern cards running anywhere from 128MB to 512MB of local RAM, the AGP "bottleneck" will become more and more a thing of the past. The biggest advantage to PEGx16 is not the raw numbers, but the bidirectionality of the numbers- given enough experience and optimizations, game developers will begin offloading more and more of what are today considered "CPU functions" to the GPU/VPU in-game, simply because the card will be able to handle more and more calculations and report its results.

Edit: also, the majority of GbE doesn't run over the PCI bus anymore- either PCIe, or integrated into the chipset. At the very least, the chipset has something of a side-port (sorry, ATI!) or loophole for all that bandwidth.

mavalpha said:
I think you give raw bandwidth a little bit too much credit- one of the reasons graphics companies started putting so much RAM on the video card was to reduce the dependence on the AGP throughput.
while i realize this, going from 2.1gbps (or even teh 1gbps of 4x) to 133mbps is going to hurt performance considerably
With modern cards running anywhere from 128MB to 512MB of local RAM, the AGP "bottleneck" will become more and more a thing of the past.
although the bottleneck is less, with games with large textures like doom or far cry, the bottleneck still exists, and anyone who is moving to PCIe at this moment will be wanting to play this stuff (well, the majority of people at least, some willa ctualy want it for its more important merits :p) and their performance will be killed wtih this "XGP" garbage, especially with no GART.
The biggest advantage to PEGx16 is not the raw numbers, but the bidirectionality of the numbers-
yeah, i know.. im one of those few people on this board taht know that PCIe isnt a move for graphics cards (at least not primarily), and that all the extra bandwidth doesnt do shit for games :p

i really think the most important part of the move is not only hte bidirectional architechture, but the fact that its not shared - this thing wont be a bottleneck for a long time yet.
given enough experience and optimizations, game developers will begin offloading more and more of what are today considered "CPU functions" to the GPU/VPU in-game, simply because the card will be able to handle more and more calculations and report its results.
yeah, seeing as how intel and AMD are having quite a bit of trouble scaling more, im very much looking forward to taht... best thing about graphics cards is they have no set architecture to adhere too, like intel and AMD do to x86...

Edit: also, the majority of GbE doesn't run over the PCI bus anymore- either PCIe, or integrated into the chipset. At the very least, the chipset has something of a side-port (sorry, ATI!) or loophole for all that bandwidth.
yeah, i know, but the fact taht GbE does saturate is what i was getting at - i know that nvidia's chipsets bypass this with the HT link, and i dont even know what intel's do :p (those are the only two i care about right now - via sucks and ATI's are in their infancy, although i would suspect they do it the same way is nvidia's... and they put the GbE on the PCIe bus for the intel platform.. i might be wrong though.

I dont get what the problem is with just doing something like building a PCI-Express card that has an AGP bridge built into it and an AGP extension cable so you can mount the card somewhere in you’re case, that would be the best solution for now. What speed could be expected from that?

It would look something like this if unpluged from a motherboard:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/StarLion/PCI-E_AGP.jpg
PCI-E_AGP.jpg

As for the problem of mounting the AGP card, motherboards typicly feture a rather large space between the AGP/PCI-E slot and the first PCI slot to allow for large video card coolers and in the process makes one of the mounting brackets in a typical case useless. Since a bridge card would be in teh PCI-E slot their would be no large coolers to get in the way of an AGP card going into this empty space.
Their should be enough clearance between the plug on the AGP extension cable and the motherboard for this to fit, just as long as there isn’t anything like a capacitor stuck in between the two motherboard sockets. :rolleyes:

Picture doesn't work (edit: nevermind). But if I understand you right, are you talking about plugging the AGP card into an adapter with an HSI/Rialto-type chip on it, and then plugging that into the PEG slot? You've already realized that you can't use a solid PCB, since the card won't mount properly. Cables ("ribbons" would be more appropriate) are very bad about interference- especially at such high bandwidths, and also introduce significant amounts of latency.

the problem with that is that no one will put the R&D into making one :p

it just wouldnt see enough returns - people like us are a tiny, tiny part of the market

edit: pic works for me man...

XSNiper said:
Excuse me. I must have missed the point where smacktards entered these forums.

Way to go being a hypocrite.

pstang said:
so you are telling me you have never upgraded before and used something from your old system

its good for those who upgrade in stages, which i have done, i know i cant afford to get the best of everything (proc., video card, motherboard, case and ram) all in one go.

msi has a similar board for S754 that has pci-e and an agr slot (that runs off the pci bus)for agp cards... sure the agp card takes a performance hit, but once you go to pci-e everything will be ok.

I have used parts across platforms. RAM, harddrives, optical drives.
And I don't see how this board is any good for anyone. Instead of settling for crappy performance people need to learn to save money for better purchases.

Why in the world would anyone do a 2 step forward, 1 step backwards in computer hardware? Yeah, you got a 9800 pro, to bad its running like a 9200 on FarCry cause of the motherboard "upgrade".

MeanieMan said:
Why in the world would anyone do a 2 step forward, 1 step backwards in computer hardware? Yeah, you got a 9800 pro, to bad its running like a 9200 on FarCry cause of the motherboard "upgrade".

This is why I said it would be smart for *some* people and used myself as an example. Since I run a 440mx, I likely wouldn't take a performance hit. I do agree though that for anyone who is using even a moderately powerful card, this board is a waste.

but the biggest difference was between 1x and PCI - why? although they are running at the same speed (33mhz)
incorrect, agp 1x is 66Mhz, and segregated from the pci bus, although is pci-sometimes bridged. the reviews cannot explain through benchmarking the benefits that the other modes provide, specially 8x. although, those that do graphic work do realize the benefit of a octal clocked fast write transfer of a large texture. there are other benefits to 8x such as, iscohronous transfers, better power standards and preventors of cross talk with compensation through dbi, sba ratification, etc.

(266mbps vs. 2.1gbps) bandwidth than that of two PCI busses
pci's bandwidth is 133MBs, thats megabytes a second, not bits. mavalpha, is correct with this information. there is more to the pci bus, than saying it is just "a shared bus." one of the major contraints is due to the fact that it is a parallel bus. it is difficult, and costly to increase its speed due to cross talk, increased traces, and layering. serial is slower but it can be clocked higher to compensate this. decreases in traces due to point to point topology. since it has less traces it does not need as many layers of pcb. add layered packet schemes with qos abilities, priority tagging and you have a managed more efficient ability than pci. there are other benefits to pci express than this.

i really think the most important part of the move is not only hte bidirectional architechture, but the fact that its not shared - this thing wont be a bottleneck for a long time yet.
everything is shared with the computer. the difference is the contention is at a different point. contention on the pci starts with the device and goes up. with pcie contention starts with the pcie switch, not at the device as with pci. the packets are managed in a similar manner to ethernet beyond that. think as pci architecture is hub based and pci express is switched based, if you are familiar with ethernet, and osi layers.

also, the majority of GbE doesn't run over the PCI bus anymore- either PCIe, or integrated into the chipset.
incorrect, most GibE is over pci-x, pci-66. the recent solutions were provided more to non-enterprise consumers, such as csa.

with computers there is always a bottleneck, and contention somewhere. do not fall easy prey to pr prophecies. better core logics, techniques like interrupt moderation, and going from virtual to true multitasking ability with dual cores, will change this. code complexity increases, but it is evolutionary path of the computer.

meatycheesyboy said:
This is why I said it would be smart for *some* people and used myself as an example. Since I run a 440mx, I likely wouldn't take a performance hit. I do agree though that for anyone who is using even a moderately powerful card, this board is a waste.

I agree,

i think a lot of people are missing the point of this board, if you wanted to upgrade to a S939 w/ pci-e and use all the components from you old system including your agp card and later upgrade to a pci-e video card (when your budget allows) is a good idea, if you were to do it any other way it would require you to buy two separate boards and for someone on a budget it will allow them to have a "good" system while maintaining a small budget. Yes, you arent gong to get wild performance out of the agp card in the xgp slot, and im not saying this is the best board in the world, but its most likely not going to be your permanent video solution any way.

MeanieMan said:
Instead of settling for crappy performance people need to learn to save money for better purchases.
so you are saying people who want a budget system are stupid? some times its not a matter of poeple dont want to save up, maybe they dont want to spend a large amount of money on a system

shaihulud said:
incorrect, agp 1x is 66Mhz, and segregated from the pci bus, although is pci-sometimes bridged. the reviews cannot explain through benchmarking the benefits that the other modes provide, specially 8x. although, those that do graphic work do realize the benefit of a octal clocked fast write transfer of a large texture. there are other benefits to 8x such as, iscohronous transfers, better power standards and preventors of cross talk with compensation through dbi, sba ratification, etc.
yeah, but we arent talking about graphics work here = we're talking about gaming and this "XGP" crap. i have already been corrected on teh AGP 1x thing, BTW

pci's bandwidth is 133MBs, thats megabytes a second, not bits. mavalpha, is correct with this information. there is more to the pci bus, than saying it is just "a shared bus." one of the major contraints is due to the fact that it is a parallel bus. it is difficult, and costly to increase its speed due to cross talk, increased traces, and layering. serial is slower but it can be clocked higher to compensate this. decreases in traces due to point to point topology. since it has less traces it does not need as many layers of pcb. add layered packet schemes with qos abilities, priority tagging and you have a managed more efficient ability than pci. there are other benefits to pci express than this.
the 266mbs was referring to my theory that it was in fact two indepedent PCI busses going into that XGP slot (in fact, im not sure an AGP8x card would like being run at 33mhz - something else to think about...) - i know that regular PCI is 133. i also know about the less traces, being cheaper, ect ect - but that wasnt the topic of this conversation. sorry about teh abbriviation confusion - ive been doing alot of networking talk lately and got my appriviations mixed up :p
everything is shared with the computer. the difference is the contention is at a different point. contention on the pci starts with the device and goes up. with pcie contention starts with the pcie switch, not at the device as with pci. the packets are managed in a similar manner to ethernet beyond that. think as pci architecture is hub based and pci express is switched based, if you are familiar with ethernet, and osi layers.
yes i am familiar with ethernet - my point was that the bandwidth going to those slots on the PCIe bus are not shared with other slots on the board - each slot gets its own bandwidth while teh bandwidth that the chipset can provide is limited to the number of lanes it supports, no?

incorrect, most GibE is over pci-x, pci-66. the recent solutions were provided more to non-enterprise consumers, such as csa.
yeah, but not mainstream PCI - which is what i think he was getting at. we're talking about mainstream parts here, not server.

with computers there is always a bottleneck, and contention somewhere. do not fall easy prey to pr prophecies. better core logics, techniques like interrupt moderation, and going from virtual to true multitasking ability with dual cores, will change this. code complexity increases, but it is evolutionary path of the computer.
yeah - but PCIe is freeing up much from the PCI days, and we really arent going to feel a big hurt from saturating the bus for a long while.

pstang said:
so you are saying people who want a budget system are stupid? some times its not a matter of poeple dont want to save up, maybe they dont want to spend a large amount of money on a system
then get something that will fully support your stuff, or sell your stuff and get something of an equal performance level for a small invetment. XGP is not worth its cost in plastic. of course, if you are still running a 440MX (UGH!) itll work - but the majority of people wanting to upgrade to PCIe have higher end cards, and the simple fact that boards still exist wtih AGP and all teh support for the latest processors - while keeping in mind that PCIe does absolutly nothing for games right now - i think the descision is quite simple. it was for me, i had an AGP 6800GT. i didnt want to sell it and go through all that hassle, so i got a neo2. very happy wtih it.

pstang said:

No, I'm saying that people that don't know how to save for a decent system are stupid (if you so must use the word).
That board provides nothing. If you want a budget system then there are hundreds of 754 combos that would kill this board and a 939 chip, for the same price. Not to mention other chipsets entirely.

pstang said:
but its most likely not going to be your permanent video solution any way.

Again, why go 2 steps forward 1 step back? Especially with a budget system, when you have even less money to spend? :rolleyes:

yeah, but we arent talking about graphics work here = we're talking about gaming and this "XGP" crap. i have already been corrected on teh AGP 1x thing, BTW
i know what the post subject is, and we are talking about graphic work. it does not matter if it is computer aided design or games, it is graphic work. which is all relative to the interfaces that is used.

the 266mbs
ive been doing alot of networking talk lately and got my appriviations mixed up
this is disconcerting-as you have pointed out teh-you can do all you want, but there is a difference to mbs and MBs.

theory that it was in fact two indepedent PCI busses going into that XGP slot (in fact, im not sure an AGP8x card would like being run at 33mhz
i would not speculate, i would consult documentation on the core logic, if any.

my point was that the bandwidth going to those slots on the PCIe bus are not shared with other slots on the board
correct, it is not shared with other devices "on the pci bus," as i have said. however, at the pci express switch there is contention. in other words, there is always a bottleneck somewhere.

yeah, but not mainstream PCI - which is what i think he was getting at. we're talking about mainstream parts here, not server.
mainstream is enterprise! not us home end users.

yeah - but PCIe is freeing up much from the PCI days, and we really arent going to feel a big hurt from saturating the bus for a long while
it is, from the device to the pci switch, but from switch and up it does not and is close to saturation. some pci express graphics (peg) are even placed in a physically different level of the core logic (q.v via's flex pci express http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/flex-express/ )this is why hyper transport is such an awesome complementary technology. you should also note the bandwith that is is needed for the devices! as i said, contention is everywhere on the computer.

the agp/pci epress graphics for typical end uses is a difficult upgrade. however, i would never use this for the cost in the long run would be more expensive.

the board is based on nforce,4 and nvidia does not provide white papers, as intel does with their core logics. however, since it is an nforce4 this means that the agp is a bridged deviced, and the agp can operate in pci-66. this is what it is called, and similar to what the voodoo 3 and higher did. i wish nvidia, and via would follow amd and intel footsteeps, and provide documentation about the core logic provided.

note, that most core logics support up to 6 pci masters. with bridging you are able to increase the amount of pci devices. http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/pcie.ars/3

nf4 does not nativly support AGP, i know that for a fact - i blieve taht new via set for 775 does though

so if it operates in pci-66, it is getting the bandwidth of a PCI-X slot - or what everyone else is calling "dual PCI busses"

its called bridging. you can bridge a device onto others. e.g. hypertransport can be used as a bridge, and nvidia used it as such with the professional nforce4 series. it is not pci-x for that is a different bus, and protocol than agp. as i said i would have to look at the documentation, cause it can vary with each implementation.

Thank all of you for the warnings on this xgp slot.
I was not 2 clicks away from buying a biostar tforce 4 u with a slot like that. But i have been doing some research and found this thred. omg a lifesaver. i just dumped a asrock939dual that wouldent work with my bfg 5900 ultra wich thay said is a true agp. must have been a different issue.

I have found several acceptable boards that have true agp with a nforce 3 chipset for less then 70$ wich if you really plan on going pcie then this 70$ board could be sold with my card to have a good start on a pcie card. then i will just need to pick up a mobo but from what i see the tforce 4 u is still an awesome board for the 92$ price with alot of options it would just have a waisted xlgp slot that i wouldent need after my upgrade.

So ty once agin for the info i really needed some super hardware gurus like youguys to take a look at thoes slots.

Back