XGI Volari V8 Duo Ultra

Seller was probably best not showing the card lol, you can see the leaking capacitors all over the card.

I think its a common problem on this card because I remember erek showing a pic of his that I think has the same issue and several others with the same.

Reactions: erek
like this
Seller was probably best not showing the card lol, you can see the leaking capacitors all over the card.

I think its a common problem on this card because I remember erek showing a pic of his that I think has the same issue and several others with the same.
yup

136971_upload_2018-6-26_14-50-9.png

Make sure to replace those caps sooner than later. If the electrolyte starts oozing out of the bottom rubber plug, it can start corroding traces and through holes which is not fun to repair.

Make sure to replace those caps sooner than later. If the electrolyte starts oozing out of the bottom rubber plug, it can start corroding traces and through holes which is not fun to repair.

what about the perception of diminished value for not having the original capacitors from factory?

what's your take?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
My take is the same on all old electronics. If it has a fault caused by bad components, they're going to be replaced with something that won't cause damage to the item in question. Lots of old electronic gear is ruined by leaking capacitors and especially leaking NiCD/Lithium batteries that can render the item completely irreparable due to the damage they cause. Just look up exploding lithium batteries on old Macintosh machines or leaking NiCD CMOS batteries on 486 systems and prior.

I mean if someone just wants a shelf queen with a ticking timebomb inside, that's their preference. But I like to actually enjoy my old gear, which is why I maintain it. I think it has more value than a corroded and rusted mess that doesn't work.

If it were my card, I'd get the more expensive polymer capacitors to replace the electrolytics. Polymer caps look a whole lot nicer with the brushed aluminum finish than multicolored vomit.

With the rare hardware you deal in, I'm not surprised you have your connections lmao.

heh, they keep making trade offers for the v6000. what happened with this volari is crazy though, at 4000 USD it's actually more than the common 3700 A revision of a Voodoo5 6000 ....

Did the seller learn that the card is out of box defective at the last minute?

Back