• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

XGI review. What do you think?

TMCM

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
1,687
So what did you all think of the XGI review? I am hoping that the card really isn't just a piece of crap and will give ATI/Nvidia a run for their money but I am starting to lose hope. Do you think this is just driver issues? Why are they even letting people review this card when it seems like it is no where near ready?

Link
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Volari/

What do you guys think? I still have some faith that its just that the drivers are buggy as hell and the hardware is fine. If they get this card working right and it can perform between a 9600xt and an 9800 pro and cost under $250 then that would be awesome.
 
The graphics market desperately needs new competetion, but in some early benches I saw, the XGI flagship actually performed worse than a ti4200 in a few instances. To me, a dual GPU card coming out slower than a card that was midrange 2 years ago is inexcusable
 
"Another disturbing issue was the quality of image outputted through the card when compared to the screencaptures we took. On several occasions we attempted to capture bugs onscreen (e.g. DVD quality or Unreal Tournaments many issue) and the captured image was significantly improved over the realtime image. Yet again a driver bug which helps skew reviews in favour of the Volari, hiding its true performance from the end user/review reader."

From the conclusion.

Maybe Gabe Newell wasn't talking about nVidia?
 
Well I guess it can only get better? Heh, not being able to play more than half the games in the review tends to be a bad sign for a video card. Until drivers become somewhat more stable than they are right now, I can't really comment on this card right now except for the drivers are crap. Maybe this can chagne in the feature, but its got a while before it can catch up to ATi/nvidia...

-MoOfAsA~
 
OFF TOPIC

did i wrote right?

Is
1 - I hope they have learned (...)
2 - I hope they had learned (...)

???
 
Every review so far has shown it to be garbage, so it probably is.
Remember, these are basically the same people who brought us the Xabre.

Some reviewer did the rename trick with a lot of the games commonly used in banchmarking, and the Volari scores got a lot worse and the IQ improved a bit.
I think the bottom line is that alternate frame renderers need telepathic drivers in order to get any decent performance boost out of nearly any game. Especially with a GPU interconnect thats only as fast as the AGP bus.

If you want to hope, hope for the Deltachrome driver team or for the PowerVR5 to come out.
 
Originally posted by AMDoido
OFF TOPIC

did i wrote right?

Is
1 - I hope they have learned (...)
2 - I hope they had learned (...)

???

It's: I hope they have learned.
Also, did i wrote right?, should really be: Did I write this correctly? You were pretty close though, better than most people who speak english...
 
Originally posted by Moofasa~
It's: I hope they have learned.
Also, did i wrote right?, should really be: Did I write this correctly? You were pretty close though, better than most people who speak english...

thanks...
btw... why should i say did i write, if its on past.. i wrote...
give an example using wrote...
 
btw... why should i say did i write, if its on past.. i wrote...
The 'did' is a verb conjugated to the past-tense in this context, so you would say "Did I write that correctly?".

The preceding (conjugated) "did" automatically converts the rest of the sentence to past-tense, which means the part of the sentence that the "Did" is referring to must be used in the (unconjugated) present tense.

This is seen in Romance languages as well. In Spanish you could start a sentence with "Voy a hacer..." and the second verb (hacer = to do/make) remains unconjugated because the first verb (Ir = to go, conjugated to voy) is conjugated.

Without the use of the "did" then you must modify the only remaining verb to past-tense as in: "I wrote a book last year."

With that explained I am going to the bars.
edit: var->ir
 
They are using a method call turbo mode in rendering the textures, similar to what they were doing with the xabre series. Sadly the hardware looked neat paperwise, but dismal driver support and offhand quality, would rate this card on par with a geforce 3 albeit IQ and the 400$ price tag.
 
It's performing exactly like everyone thought it would. I don't see how this could be a surprise to anyone.
 
Back
Top