XFX Vega 56 problem

shoenberg3

n00b
Trying to get some help here. Recently bought a XFX Vega 56 graphics card. My computer works fine with a different graphics card (a beater 8600gt or something). My power supply is Corsair TX650W (bronze I think).

When I plug in the Vega, the card fans spins for around 10 seconds and the fans stop after that, although the XFX graphics card lights are still on. I get no display. I suppose there are three distinct possibilities.

1) The card is defective (will try to verify this in a few days with a different computer elsewhere).

2) The PSU is under-powered/defective. It works fine with 8600 gt and a I5 2500K system, but adding a power hungry Vega is too much?

3)There is something wrong with the mobo bios settings (or perhaps drivers?) that is preventing sufficient juice to be delivered to the cards. Perhaps, cutting off the power because of power saving? I did try to reset the mobo bios setting by unseating the CMOS battery.

My question would be: which scenario is most likely? And, how would I check/fix for scenario 3?

Thanks for the help

Try removing ALL nVidia drivers before removing the 8600GT, install Vega and it should boot with generic driver. after getting into Windows install AMD driver

Thanks for that. Do you recommend something like DDU?
What if it still doens't work?
Would the computer still boot up if I try to go back to 8600 GT.
I am afraid that uninstalling NVIDIA drivers would not let me do that.

Thanks

Thanks for that. Do you recommend something like DDU?
What if it still doens't work?
Would the computer still boot up if I try to go back to 8600 GT.
I am afraid that uninstalling NVIDIA drivers would not let me do that.

Thanks

It should, Windows will just default to its standard vga driver, though it doesn't sound like a driver issue since you are not even getting to the card to display your monitor.

Have you try a different cable like HDMI or DisplayPort?

I had to get a dual link DVI to display port adaptor because monitor only has DVI and the card doesn't. I mean that could be a possibility but somehow I doubt it..

If you have a TV somewhere in your house try plugging it in to the HDMI just to make sure the adapter isn't causing the issue.

If this card is the same one I have, enjoy the ride because its a total turd and you probably have overheating HBM.

Aww. That sucks.. But better than a non functioning brick that I have now..
Is yours the two fanned version?

Aww. That sucks.. But better than a non functioning brick that I have now..
Is yours the two fanned version?

Yes, and its probably the worst V56 you can buy. Word to the wise - don't try to flash it.

I won't..
Someone suggested that I flash the mobo bios. However, it's a bit terrifying to do. Might that be problem though that's preventing the graphic card to work.?
The mobo is around 5 yrs old.

Is this a brand new vega or bought from someone else? if you bought it from someone who used it for mining it might be dead? there's also a bios switch you can try and toggle that to the other direction and see if that helps.if your motherboard also has an extra pcie slot you could also try that. Btw I have an i5 3500k and z77 mobo and the MSI vega 56 booted fine only difference is that I got somewhat a higher PSU 750w.

It's brand new. I tried switching the bios switch on the graphics card. Tried a different pcie slot.
How old is your mobo (did you update its bios?)
Thaks for the heop

It's brand new. I tried switching the bios switch on the graphics card. Tried a different pcie slot.
How old is your mobo (did you update its bios?)
Thaks for the heop
It's almost 5 years as well. No bios was still from 2012. Is the PSU brand new ? if you could try another psu ? or if you have another PC or friends who could try the vega on their system?

I'm not sure I'm fully understanding OP, but from what I gather hes saying his gpu fans spin up, then stop....

like...have you tried putting a load on the card? a lot of the newer cards today have a method in which the fans do not spin up at all till theres a load of some significance on the card....... if your saying you load a game and still it doesn't do anything and temps peak.... then id say somethings wrong, but if you load a game up and it starts working, id say its doing what its designed to do.... as I type this, my gtx 1070 fans are not spinning....

He also said he gets no display. He mentions in a later post that he is using a display port to dual link DVI adapter. I think LigTasm has the right idea using the HDMI output to eliminate the adapter as a problem first.

He also said he gets no display. He mentions in a later post that he is using a display port to dual link DVI adapter. I think LigTasm has the right idea using the HDMI output to eliminate the adapter as a problem first.
ya sorry, after rereading his post a few times I saw I overlooked that, removed my post cause it was irrelevant, but I agree with the potential adapter issue, ive noticed sometimes if I switch displays on my card it just doesn't recognize it till a proper reboot/reconnect of the cable... so chances are the card is defaulting to a particular output and simply not seeing the adapter..also the adapter could be faulty... ultimately I say ya try doing a direct connection via hdmi some how to something

also maybe someone with a little more knowledge could discuss or explain the following, but isn't there a difference between active displayport/dvi adapters and inactive?... think I remember or ran into a issue with that myself a few years ago

Last edited:
yup, i might look into that.
how would i do a "proper reboot/reconnect of the cable"?
I don't have a spare monitor around. I think the next thing to do, definitely, is to go to a hardware shop and see if the graphics card works on diferent setups

yup, i might look into that.
how would i do a "proper reboot/reconnect of the cable"?
I don't have a spare monitor around. I think the next thing to do, definitely, is to go to a hardware shop and see if the graphics card works on diferent setups

well I meant, just boot up the system, unplug the cable, then boot down the system, plug the cable back in, and boot back up, I run multimonitors, sometimes I switch my hdmi over to my tv, and it just doesn't recognize anything there till I unplug / replug it back in, and I usually coincide that with a reboot....

that said I'm really not leaning that way on your situation, till you can confirm wether it works via another port does your tv have hdmi on it?..

other then that could be the adapter isn't up to snuff...dvi or dvi-d.. active/inactive...

https://www.startech.com/faq/DisplayPort_Converter_DP_Multi_Mode

ill just leave that there, cause not sure if it pertains, but .... food for thought...

again id find a way to test the card on another display, not using a adapter

as others have stated

Last edited:
Hmm.. that got me thinking.
What happens if I do not connect it to monitor and try to navigate into windows without display?
If I memorize the sequence of keyboard strokes to get into windows and turn off the computer, if I am able to execute that, wouldn't that mean that the graphic card does work on the computer, it's just the adaptor that might be problem?

not entirely sure you can, I mean maybe? I imagine the system would see a problem of no display, so may not function....

does your motherboard/cpu by chance have onboard video? could just boot into windows using that, verify that windows is seeing the card and it appears to be working properly..

fyi, amazon has dp to dvi cables 6-10$,
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...splayport+to+dvi+,aps,3349&crid=1HXXINPWNLU9P

but again you may want ot just try and test the card with a different cable / port to see if its just a issue with the adaptor you have.... or just bite the bullet, buy a new cable, give that a try, something tells me its a issue with the adaptor, but it very well could be a issue with the card, or it could be a issue of the pci-e slot not putting out enough power to initialize the card, despite having the 6pin or 8pin connection....

tbh I don't know, I'm just leaning towards the adaptor being the culprit... but that's easily testable by just getting a hdmi cable, going hdmi from card, to hdmi to tv... I'm sure you have the required materials hooked up in your living room, may require moving the computer around a bit to test it...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back