XFX Support: No 6 to 8 adapters for 9800 GX2

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
I plugged my 9800 GX2 into the sig rig, replacing the 8800 Ultra. Card lights up but no video. So I call XFX Tech support and they said that officially nVidia doesn't approve the use of 6 to 8 pin adapters, so I'm going to upgrade my PSU.

So I just ordered this: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270419&prodlist=celebros

Yes I know its overkill, bt I just want to make certain that there are NO issues with the PSU. This particular unit was used in the Guru3D review.

Mine works fine with a 6-8 pin adapter. PC Power and Cooline Silencer 750.

Yeah, I think the card is bad, my CoolerMaster has the rated power to drive this card, but I want to eliminate any other issues before I RMA the card. I would like to know if adapters should always work with capable PSU's or if its a hit or miss proposition.

Anyone care to inform me why they can't standardize these connectors? Something like a standard 8-pin "expansion aux" power connector that is standard on any expansion slot device that requires additional juice beyond the spec of its bus? Its almost comical to have two different auxillary power connectors right next to each other on the same card. 1) They should be able to pull the juice they need off ONE connector. 2) If not, they should be two of the same connector.

It just seems really illogical and silly to me.

Anyone care to inform me why they can't standardize these connectors? Something like a standard 8-pin "expansion aux" power connector that is standard on any expansion slot device that requires additional juice beyond the spec of its bus? Its almost comical to have two different auxillary power connectors right next to each other on the same card. 1) They should be able to pull the juice they need off ONE connector. 2) If not, they should be two of the same connector.

Looking at the specs from various reviews, the 9800 GX2 max power draw is 197W. That's more than can be delivered from two 6 pin connectors, that's only only 150W total.

My PSU is the Corsair HX620. According eVGA and Corsair, the 620 is more than capable of driving the GX2 very well. Corsair is sending the adapter cable at no charge. I'm going to see how things go with what I've got now before dropping any more $$ on another PSU.

yay just got my converter from pcpc for 16.00 shipped! :D:D:D kinda expensive...

Looking at the specs from various reviews, the 9800 GX2 max power draw is 197W. That's more than can be delivered from two 6 pin connectors, that's only only 150W total.

You are overlooking the power supplied by the bus itself, which I believe is also 75W.

You are overlooking the power supplied by the bus itself, which I believe is also 75W.

Good point. So then we have a total of 225W and that begs the question as to why does the 9800 GX2 have the 8 pin plug, which is rated at 150W. That would be a total of 300W,
and there's no way it draws that much power.

I do wonder why eVGA said however that adapters we're ok and XFX said no way, claiming that is what nVidia said.

Actually eVga has said that they prefer you DONT use the 6>8 pin adapters.
Yup, I was told the same thing yesterday when I called evga. the guy on the phone was pretty serious in his answer. I ordered an adapter anyway. If it works, great if not, I'll buy a new PSU.

Yeah, I figured that the adapter may not work, but my problem seemed a little odd. The system booted up fine. I could remote desktop into it, just no video. All the lights on the card were on like Christmas Day, just not video. Does that sound like a power problem?

Yeah, I figured that the adapter may not work, but my problem seemed a little odd. The system booted up fine. I could remote desktop into it, just no video. All the lights on the card were on like Christmas Day, just not video. Does that sound like a power problem?

Yeah a power shortfall could result in that. It can cause just about anything though, so that's not saying much.

I find it rather odd that EVGA says the GX2 will do very well with the Corsair HX620, yet they strongly discourage using a 6/8 pin adapter on the GX2. Am I to believe that EVGA really doesn't understand that the only way the HX620 can work with the GX2 is by using a 6/8 pin adapter??? Something just doesn't make sense here. :confused:

I find it rather odd that EVGA says the GX2 will do very well with the Corsair HX620, yet they strongly discourage using a 6/8 pin adapter on the GX2. Am I to believe that EVGA really doesn't understand that the only way the HX620 can work with the GX2 is by using a 6/8 pin adapter??? Something just doesn't make sense here. :confused:

The newer 520/620 hx's have 6+2's.

Not only do the newer ones have the 6+2 shipping in the box, but for the older ones, you can simply email a request to Corsair and they will mail them to you.

No need to be confused.

So if the old and new versions are eclectically the same, then an adapter should work correct?

It's not exactly the same thing. The HX series is modular. The new cables supplied with the power supply are 8 pin cables, with a 6+2 connector at the end. The previous cables were simply 6 pin cables end to end.

Fortunately, as I posted above, you don't need to use an adapter. You can simply request the replacement 8 pin cable from Corsair.

EDIT TO ADD: Just wanted to add that I see no reason why the adapter wouldn't work either. I suspect Nvidia and the rest of them are simply taking a strict view to cover their collective asses.

SECOND EDIT: I went back and looked at the PSU. The connector on the PSU is only 6 pins anyway, so I suppose it's fair to say the modular 6+2 cable is really nothing more than a 6-8 pin adapter anyway. I'm going to step away from this debate now and let someone with more knowledge than me take over.

That's what I've been saying. I have 2 6pin ones. And I find it funny that I've seen 2 6pin to 1 8 pin connectors. So after that I still need a 6 pin connector.

ATI did that and now Nvidia. What these GPU companies are doing recently is plain retarded. Next it's going to be 1 8pin and 1 10pin. So I'll need a PSU with a whole bunch of connectors.

That's what I've been saying. I have 2 6pin ones. And I find it funny that I've seen 2 6pin to 1 8 pin connectors. So after that I still need a 6 pin connector.

ATI did that and now Nvidia. What these GPU companies are doing recently is plain retarded. Next it's going to be 1 8pin and 1 10pin. So I'll need a PSU with a whole bunch of connectors.

Its a conspiracy.... BTW, microcenter has a really good deal on a coolermaster 750 PSU with 2 8pin and 4 6pin connectors right now :)

We take the same stance as NVIDIA does and do not recommend you use the 6-8 pin adapter as it can cause issues.

I can't believe OP bought a new psu for that.

I just snapped off the clip from my cable; problem solved. Not that the clips do much anyway, but just to be safe I zip-tied the two cables going to my GX2 together. The clip that I "destroyed" is modular so if I absolutely have to, I can replace it for free or for cheap down the road.

Then again, nothing wrong with throwing money at a problem if you have it....

I'm getting a headache trying to make some sense of this "to use or not use a 6/8 pin adapter cable" conundrum. I e-mailed Corsair for the cable. If they send one, I'll try it. If it works, I'll use it for awhile and see if it causes any "issues" as suggested by our friend from XFX. If issues arise, I guess I'll have to invest in a new PSU like the Thermaltake Toughpower 750 or maybe a newer version HX620.

welllllllllll.. that sucked for you heatless.. not all psus are created equally.. I am not suurprized that the pcp&c 750s handle it fine.. anyways.. you'll freaking love that Enermax psu.. it's conservatively rated at 1kw.. the review I read a while back says based on it's internals, it's capable of a lot more.. they said it should be called a 1.2kw psu easy.. maybe more.. anyways..

edit: this is a great psu review http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/365/1 (corrected review, lol)

Back