XFX Radeon HD 5870 fan noise

nodle

[H]ard|Gawd
I am considering purchasing this card, but all the reviews on it say it's a loud card. I don't mind it getting loud if it needs to cool itself down, but how loud does it get while just doing nromal stuff like web browsing etc.? I am coming from a Nvidia 260, which to me is whisper quiet all the time. For those of you that have this card is it really true?

2d19w83.jpg

I have it, but I don't have any other brand of 5870 to compare it to. I don't notice it being any louder than any of my other fans in my computer when idling, which are all Enermax enlobal bearing fans @1500 RPM. So I'd say it's approximately the same amount of noise as those fans.

When playing games (or when it's too hot in my computer room), I do hear it kick up a little bit.

Why not get the Sapphire Vapor-X 5870? The upgraded cooler is much quieter than the stock ref design.

That's a non-reference card, it should be quieter than the reference card if you have proper case airflow.

The 5870 clocks down to 0.95v and 157mhz core/300mhz memory when you are not playing games. It is basically silent.

Ok then, I was just worried it was going to be extremely loud on idle.

Back