XFX Radeon HD 4770

HardOCP News

[H] News
We take our first look at a full retail boxed version of the Radeon HD 4770 from XFX. We’ll test its overclocking ability, take its temperature, and see what kind of performance it puts out while taking it for a spin around the block in real world gameplay testing. This dual-slot Radeon HD 4770 has a lot to offer at an attractive price.

Who would have thought that we would be here right now telling you that a $105 video card will let you play the latest games with the highest in-game settings? It wasn’t too long ago that a video card around $100 wouldn’t buy you this kind of performance.

Right now I am hoping that newegg back them instock by the time, I am ready to order tonight.

Good review. Now if only a company can keep them in stock long enough for people to take advantage of them.

yeah definitely - if only I could actually buy it. I think if they were available in quantity the price would dip below $100, since alot fo 4850s are right around $110 or less right now.

To me it looks pretty disappointing. The GTS250 is already selling and widely available for $110. And it looks like it outperforms this card in most instances unless I was reading wrong. Now if the 4770 retails substantially lower, that might make it interesting.

To me it looks pretty disappointing. The GTS250 is already selling and widely available for $110. And it looks like it outperforms this card in most instances unless I was reading wrong. Now if the 4770 retails substantially lower, that might make it interesting.

An advantage the 4770 has in gaming is being able to run higher AA settings with greater efficiency than the GTS 250, i.e., faster.

The 4770 is also not as long as a GTS 250 and will fit better in smaller systems, using less power and run cooler.

The GTS 250 would not be as cheap as this card if it was not for the price and performance of this card and AMD lowering the price of the 4850 to make up for the low stock of the 4770,

Last edited:
here's to hoping that A. the rest or the 40nm chips OC this well and B that TSMC can get this worked out. the price of these is still higher then AMD intended due to production issues.

maybe not the benches look better than 4850

have they gone crazy nvidia and started numbering cards backwards im confused

An advantage the 4770 has in gaming is being able to run higher AA settings with greater efficiency than the GTS 250, i.e., faster.

I don't see this in the review. It looks like AA is most times the same between both cards and the GTS 250 performs similar if not better than the 4770. In one test the 4770 had to play at a lower resolution and only in L4D did I see an instance where a different AA mode was used. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

You can get a 4870 for $120. ATi has waaaaay too many cards all in the same price range.

For the most part, the 4770 cannot be bought since launch. The card seems like it was only made to test the new manufacturing process.

Taking into account that the card is $100+ if you can find it and the fact that you can get a 4850 for $80 (after rebate), I don't see how the card wins a silver award. From a price/performance perspective, the 4850 beats both cards in the review.

The 4770 seems to be a niche card, only for those that insist on the lower power/heat/noise levels and the smaller size.

From the article:
Who would have thought that we would be here right now telling you that a $105 video card will let you play the latest games with the highest in-game settings? It wasn’t too long ago that a video card around $100 wouldn’t buy you this kind of performance.

Did nobody clue you guys in when the HD 4830 was released? For a bit over $100, you got 95% of the HD 4850's performance. It overclocks very well, too. I'd noticed a 4830 review was conspicuously absent on the [H] review page. I'm still using mine (bought it for $110 shipped soon after they were released) and its performance is merely a couple percent slower than the 4770. Though I understand, with a smaller die and only a 128-bit memory bus, the 4770 is probably a lot cheaper to produce, and likely more profitable.

Anyone shopping the hard-to-find 4770, though, is well-advised to buy one of the trillions of HD 4850s floating around for $100. The 4850 is faster in most circumstances, anyway. The only real reason to wait for the 4770 to be in stock is if you want the extremely low power consumption figures...

You can get a 4870 for $120. ATi has waaaaay too many cards all in the same price range.

Yeah, once they get their 4770 supplies straight, they should drop that card to $90, retire the 4850, and keep the 4870 where it is. By now, RV770 yields have to be good enough that a lower-spec'd 4850 is unnecessary. Having a video card choice at every $5 is getting a little annoying when they all perform within 5-10% of each other. The only cards AMD should be selling are 4350, 4550, 4670, 4770, 4870, and 4890, along with X2 configs. Anything else and you're going to end up stepping on your own toes.

That said, nVidia is just as bad, selling 9800GTX and GT 250 cards at the same time, since they're the same thing. Dump the 9800 series. Sell 9400, 9500, 9600, then GT 250, 260, 275 and 285. Simplify things rather than muddy them up.

Of course, with the recession causing an abundance of cards sitting idle in the channels, it could just be that this is what they're doing but there's too much "noise" caused by EOL'd cards.

Eh. I was looking for a cheap upgrade of my 9800 GTX, but I don't think this is it. Perhaps something with > 512MB RAM.

Eh. I was looking for a cheap upgrade of my 9800 GTX, but I don't think this is it. Perhaps something with > 512MB RAM.

A $100 budget video card as an upgrade to a 9800GTX? I'm pretty sure you knew going in that it wasn't the card you were looking for...

Just like I'm fairly certain you already know that the upgrade path from a 9800GTX begins with a GTX260-216 or a 4870 1GB.

I got this card for 100 shipped a few months ago from mwave. Its a great card. I used to have a 8800 GTS 512 before it. I didn't see no performance loss either.

If you have a microcenter near you, it might be worth going in and looking. They were not showing in online in any stores, but at the Madison Heights store in Michigan, I saw three in stock last Friday. I am not for sure, but i think it was the XFX version too. Just an FYI if you have one of these stores near you.

I have a 9500GT and I'm running at native resolution of 1920 x 1080. Should I get this card or look for something else? Keep in mind that I'm currently playing street fighter 4 and want better performance.

Can the reviewer tell me why this card got the silver award? Looking at the review the card was welcomed with open arms and did very well for its price point and class ranking.

The 4770's are going for retail prices, thus are a terrible value compared to 4850's(~$80 AR at newegg). If they get the price down to ~$80 w/o rebates I'd bite... but that won't happen til the yields are better.

looks like I'm getting closer to a gpu upgrade. Card temps are about right for me, but just want to be able to play 1920x1200 on most games.

Please make a 1gb version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see this in the review. It looks like AA is most times the same between both cards and the GTS 250 performs similar if not better than the 4770. In one test the 4770 had to play at a lower resolution and only in L4D did I see an instance where a different AA mode was used. Am I missing something?

I didn't see this in any of the posted benches in the [H] test..?

It has been shown time and time again with current generation AMD video cards, including the 4770 tested in past articles, that especially at 8X MSAA, the AMD GPUs are simply more efficient.

I usually don't care much but in this case I do, the 9.7 Catalysts have improved GTA4 and many other games massively and I'd like you to re-bench at least GTA4, or do a quick run of this and that and add something about it to the article, this silver might very well be gold then.

I have an Asus 4770 and its suprisingly good at my res 1680x1050
on just a quick test it was high 20s in crysis everything on high so would be pretty fluid with dropping some settings

3dmark6 was ~15K with catalyst overclock and 3.6 cpu

very quiet and cool

I was thinking about geting 4770 crossfire when it first released(when 4850/4870 was still up there at $2xx price range. But now 4850 can be bought cheaper than 4770 so I think 4850 is better deal

Really nice overclock on the card, especially memory. The price of $100 is making it really good value. Too bad the stock has been almost nonexistent making it impossible to actually find these anywhere.

Good review, thanks for comparing overclock results with stock clock results.

Why wasn't the HD 4850 included in this review though? My understanding is that HD 4770 was designed to be a cheaper replacement of HD 4850 but because of yield issues that hasnt happened yet. So...will you guys also compare 4770 with 4850 in a possible future review?

Thanks

From the article:

Did nobody clue you guys in when the HD 4830 was released? For a bit over $100, you got 95% of the HD 4850's performance. It overclocks very well, too. I'd noticed a 4830 review was conspicuously absent on the [H] review page. I'm still using mine (bought it for $110 shipped soon after they were released) and its performance is merely a couple percent slower than the 4770. Though I understand, with a smaller die and only a 128-bit memory bus, the 4770 is probably a lot cheaper to produce, and likely more profitable.

Anyone shopping the hard-to-find 4770, though, is well-advised to buy one of the trillions of HD 4850s floating around for $100. The 4850 is faster in most circumstances, anyway. The only real reason to wait for the 4770 to be in stock is if you want the extremely low power consumption figures...

I have a pair of 4830s in crossfire. Spent a total 180$ on them. That was when a 4870 was still 250+.

It has been shown time and time again with current generation AMD video cards, including the 4770 tested in past articles, that especially at 8X MSAA, the AMD GPUs are simply more efficient.

Being 'more efficient' is one thing, but being a less powerful card than one that's similarly priced and widely available is another. But again, that was never displayed in [H]'s review.

Being 'more efficient' is one thing, but being a less powerful card than one that's similarly priced and widely available is another. But again, that was never displayed in [H]'s review.

This has been tested and shown:

here - http://hardocp.com/article/2009/07/27/xfx_radeon_hd_4770/3 - look at the ap2ap test

here - http://hardocp.com/article/2009/07/27/xfx_radeon_hd_4770/8 - the 8X AA setting on the AMD card is 8X MSAA, whereas the 8X AA setting on the NV card is NV's CSAA mode (not true MSAA) yet the Min FPS is close to the same

here - http://hardocp.com/article/2009/06/15/demigod_gameplay_performance_iq/4 - in this game eval it is showing superior AA performance with AMD cards

here - http://hardocp.com/article/2009/04/28/amd_radeon_hd_4770/11 - read under the header "Fast AA" in our conclusion of the 4770 launch evaluation

If you will look through our history of evaluating AMD cards, you will find that when 8X MSAA is used, the AMD card is faster compared to NV's 8X MSAA, this has been proven in the past, and holds true for the 4770, the data is there to prove it.

Ah, looks as though I just don't read into the reviews good enough. I see the graphs showing them as same settings with Gameplay Advantages listed as N/A, and see the highest playable resolution AA -AF as being the same in those charts, and then note that the gts250 generally has the higher fps. But then for instance on your L4D review - you say it shows superior AA performance with AMD cards -- however it is said in the review -- "There were absolutely no image quality difference between either video card in this game. ", meanwhile the gts250 averages like 10 more fps a second. I'm not really understanding how the conclusion is drawn there - it's not clear to me, and would seem to indicate that the gts250 is the better card for that game based on that review page and what I'm observing.

LOL, looks like they went from totally sucking at AA to being dependent on it for performance (relative to the competition) I am very much an AA whore but a lot of people don't put the same importance to it. I wonder just how much you count it during your highest playable settings.

Back