XFX R9 290X Black OC Edition 4GB Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
XFX R9 290X Black OC Edition 4GB Video Card Review - On our test bench today is the XFX R9 290X Black OC Edition video card, sporting a factory overclock and the Ghost Thermal 2.0 Double Dissipation cooling system. Join us as we put this video card head to head against the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX OC, to determine which provides the better gaming experience and value.

That is a nice overclock. I was always a fan of the DD cooler. I think if I were to buy an AMD card it would be from XFX. It's hard to justify a 290X when the 970 runs so cool and quiet, though.

Typos fixed. - Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
appreciate your reviews Grady, i really like the inclusion of max OC performance.

Saw this on the front page and had to check the date. I was kinda surprised, Out of curiosity why would you spend time on this card considering that its replacement is being announced next week? Is XFX going to keep manufacturing this unit? If so, why?

Saw this on the front page and had to check the date. I was kinda surprised, Out of curiosity why would you spend time on this card considering that its replacement is being announced next week? Is XFX going to keep manufacturing this unit? If so, why?

Maybe just maybe it's to have a recent article to compare the possible re-branded 390x when it launches. If the 390x ends up being the 290x with a simple bump in RAM and a tiny OC and it cost more than 270, then it will be a dark day for AMD.

Amazing what drivers can do. I bought my 290x back in December and at that time the 290x was either equal to or slightly faster than the 970 in most games. Now that the drivers have matured, the 970 is faster in almost all.

Fan noise was also tipped in favor of the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX OC. It was quiet as an owl.

ISWYDT - very nice

Thanks for the great review. It is impressive how much staying power the 290X has provided. Fingers crossed that AMDs 300 series is going to be a lot more power efficient and runs cooler.

ISWYDT - very nice

Thanks for the great review. It is impressive how much staying power the 290X has provided. Fingers crossed that AMDs 300 series is going to be a lot more power efficient and runs cooler.
The 390X supposedly has a TDP around 200W. I wonder how AMD were able to make Hawaii XT that more efficient. If they were able to keep the cost around the price of the 970 it's going to be hard to pick between the two. We'll see how the efficiency has translated into performance soon.

The 390X supposedly has a TDP around 200W. I wonder how AMD were able to make Hawaii XT that more efficient. If they were able to keep the cost around the price of the 970 it's going to be hard to pick between the two. We'll see how the efficiency has translated into performance soon.

GloFo apparently..

GloFo doesn't make gpus, they are all made at TSMC.

If I am reading this correctly (translated via Google), AMD has plans to move its 28nm GPU process away from TSMC in favor of GlobalFoundries.

AMD has decided to take advantage of the 28nm SHP ( Super High Performance ) of GlobalFoundries GPU to realize that we will see in the first half of 2015, so as to avoid the high taxes which are currently forced customers to chip in 28nm at TSMC. The 28nm SHP GloFo also should allow higher frequencies, with the same operating voltage, and a less extensive surface of the chip (higher density) compared to 28nm TSMC, thus ensuring both a faster product is less expensive to produce . All this, remember, with excellent yields.

AMD Moving 28nm GPU Process To GlobalFoundries

I hope that TDP turns out to be true. And if so, then I would love it if apples-to-apples performance is on par with at least the 980, but hopefully matches (or beats) the 980ti.

If the power consumption and performance figures shake out that way, then here's to hoping that AMD will price them a little below whatever 900 series model it competes with.

I hope that TDP turns out to be true. And if so, then I would love it if apples-to-apples performance is on par with at least the 980, but hopefully matches (or beats) the 980ti.

If the power consumption and performance figures shake out that way, then here's to hoping that AMD will price them a little below whatever 900 series model it competes with.

all was good until 980TI.. a 290X should at least be re-designed with tonga keeping hawaii specs.. (shader count, rops, TMUs, bus, etc).. to be able to outperform a 980TI.. but yes it would be good to see with a lower TDP and price matching a 980..

I'll admit, I checked out this review purely for the temperature results. If the XFX cooling solution can work on the current generation AMD GPUs then we should see AMD's next gen & Titan X/980 TIs using it.

Typo Fixed - Kyle

Yeah, I was wondering if the lower number was for 2560x1440, but was incorrectly labeled in the comparison. That would explain the apples to apples number being higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe just maybe it's to have a recent article to compare the possible re-branded 390x when it launches. If the 390x ends up being the 290x with a simple bump in RAM and a tiny OC and it cost more than 270, then it will be a dark day for AMD.

390x is a new gpu, Fiji.

This article serves to pin the 290x to the 970 in terms of performance (just) but shows it loses to the 970 given price.

It's the 290x that will be re-branded (like the 7980 was to R9-280x) and will almost certainly see a price drop. At which point the tables turn and its the (290x) that is the winner.

HOWEVER... in the UK there is already a big price differential between the two. Taking the Asus Direct CU ii versions of both cards
290x @ £240
970 @ £330
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=56&subid=1752

that's a $137 difference in your new money! Would you consider those two extra fps in Battlefield 4 worth $137? The kicker is that there is really low availability of the Amd cards ...almost as though the etailers are clearing out stock in preparation for ....something! :D

Last edited:
390x is a new gpu, Fiji.

This article serves to pin the 290x to the 970 in terms of performance (just) but shows it loses to the 970 given price.

It's the 290x that will be re-branded (like the 7980 was to R9-280x) and will almost certainly see a price drop. At which point the tables turn and its the (290x) that is the winner.

HOWEVER... in the UK there is already a big price differential between the two. Taking the Asus Direct CU ii versions of both cards
290x @ £240
970 @ £330
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=56&subid=1752

that's a $137 difference in your new money! Would you consider those two extra fps in Battlefield 4 worth $137? The kicker is that there is really low availability of the Amd cards ...almost as though the etailers are clearing out stock in preparation for ....something! :D
Fiji chips will be branded Fury. The 390X is using Grenada XT, a refreshed version of Hawaii XT built on GCN 1.2 and sourced from Global Foundries. In other words, the 390X is a refreshed 290X.

With the expected rebrand, it is common opinion that once Fiji drops so will the price of the 290x. As of today I could never recommend this at that price. My 970 was cheaper over 6 months ago.

Back