xfx pro 650w noisy

leadays

Weaksauce
I've had xfx pro 650w for 2 years and it was fine, recently it gets really noisy, especially when playing games, it's by far noisier than the r9 380 fan at 50%.
It's noisy also when using the integrated hd4600 meaning it's not stressed in any way, there could be something wrong with the fan.

Is it a valid reason to ask xfx for a replacement ?

I have done RMA replacement with XFX before, and it was a breeze. However, did you register the PSU when you bought it?

You should register the PSU. The serial number should be on the label. Do you still have the invoice? However, when I RMA my 290 the registration process did not ask for my invoice. But it is good to have. Yes you should attempt to RMA it as something could be failing, perhaps the fan. XFX is pretty good, from my experience. Let us know how it turns out.

Failing fan can mean the PSU will overheat in the future and not work properly. RMA it, the fan is a component of the PSU after all, and falls under its warranty.

You should register the PSU. The serial number should be on the label. Do you still have the invoice? However, when I RMA my 290 the registration process did not ask for my invoice. But it is good to have. Yes you should attempt to RMA it as something could be failing, perhaps the fan. XFX is pretty good, from my experience. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the reply, luckily the serial number is on the psu itself so i didn't throw it away with the box, i submitted a ticket and i'm just waiting for their answer. How much time have you waited without a card when you replaced the 290?

Failing fan can mean the PSU will overheat in the future and not work properly. RMA it, the fan is a component of the PSU after all, and falls under its warranty.

You got me worried that it might be overheating right now, i touched the back of the case where i have the psu and it's quite hot, i hope it will last long enough to have it replaced.

I looked at my RMA emails - Ticket submitted 4/20/2014, approved 4/23/2014, replacement card shipped date 4/30/2014 from XFX, received in a few days and ticket closed on 5/5/2014. So turnaround time of about 2 weeks.

They replied to the ticket.
XFX only does the RMA trough the reseller so i should contact the shop where i bought the psu and make them ship it to a XFX center (at their expenses).
BUT that shop offers me only 2 year warranty. So xfx 5 year warranty only works if you extend the 2 year standard warranty that every shop has.

I will buy another psu, i saw that other companies like corsair allow the buyer to ship the product to their center, they repair it and ship it back for free. I'll take a look at other psus and if i need help i'll open a different thread.

I am surprised - are you in the US? Where in the policy has that? They didn't even ask me for an invoice or where I got my card. Odd...

I am surprised - are you in the US? Where in the policy has that? They didn't even ask me for an invoice or where I got my card. Odd...

I live in Italy.
The seller (shop or amazon) has to offer 2 years of warranty, during that time you can replace the items directly from them for free. If 2 years passed or you want to avoid the shop you can contact the producer yourself (Corsair etc.) and ship them the item, they will repair\replace and ship back without charging anything.

XFX is the only company i've seen not accepting rma trough the buyer, they want the seller to ship them the item. I've had successful rma with corsair and acer, but xfx let me down.

I've found some old threads of people that had their psu\card failing during the 2 year warranty, the shop went bankrupt and xfx told them that they only accept rma trough the seller. I'm definitely moving away from xfx.

Back