XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card

ya I believe it is, especially since it has a 400mhz clock speed when the xfx has a 500

jojasary said:
NewEgg has this card for an amazing 203.99 on a one day sale. I know best buy has that PNY for 187, but its a lower quality card and hell i have no idea where its available in stock

well check it out, this is the only 6600gt with dual DVI (doesnt really matter)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-080&depa=0

Are you confusing detatched capacitors with lower quality?

LOL, j/k. From what I have read, many users have issues with PNY packaging. For some reason, they find extra LOOSE components in the boxes. And yes, these extra components "fell" off the card causing the cards to no function at all.

SureFire said:
Looks like the

PNY is 500/900/128-bit Memory Interface/128Mb DDR3/Dual DVI
XFX is 400/1000/128-bit Memory Interface/128Mb DDR3/Dual DVI

so I'd say they're about even except the PNY comes with the HDTV breakout and overclocks very well with no artifacting, dunno about the XFX.

http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT43AND

http://www.pny.com/products/verto/performance/6600gtagp8x.asp

Sorry to correct this...but the XFX is also 500 MHz on the core. Don't use the RAMDAC speed :)

Also just ordered this because I was about to buy X^2 :)

-tReP

No probs, not to mention the XFX comes with more games as opposed to 0 that the PNY has;) I took my PNY back to CompUSA on Saturday, but not for quality reasons, but for price reasons. I got it on the $229 -30 mail-in rebate. Its a good card, but I honestly don't think it's any better or worse than the XFX quality/overclocking wise. I'm probably going PCI-Express so got a full refund from the After Christmas special.

Heh - I might just get the XFX 6600 GT, PCI Express version, though I would rather have the HDTV breakout than the games.

SureFire said:
No probs, not to mention the XFX comes with more games as opposed to 0 that the PNY has;) I took my PNY back to CompUSA on Saturday, but not for quality reasons, but for price reasons. I got it on the $229 -30 mail-in rebate. Its a good card, but I honestly don't think it's any better or worse than the XFX quality/overclocking wise. I'm probably going PCI-Express so got a full refund from the After Christmas special.

Heh - I might just get the XFX 6600 GT, PCI Express version, though I would rather have the HDTV breakout than the games.

To me the HD breakout isn't so important. Most HD sets (at least in the past year) have a DVI port. I would rather use that than component video. Component video is nice...but definately not best solution in my oppinion. Also most HD sets have a VGA port which also works quite well with most video cards. So the HD breakout for component to me doesn't seem overly useful in the larger scheme of things.

-tReP

what the hell is vivo, composite, component, svideo, hdtv dongle and all this other shit mean. I just want to be able to plug the card into my 27" tv which is not hdtv compatible but has a component video red,blue,green and svideo. Im so CONFUSED someone help me since i want to buy this card but i also want the best option of putting my desktop on the tv

So is orange the color of confusion?

Ok here we go:

1) composite: the name for yellow, white, and red connectors...shittiest of qualities
2) SVideo: a better means of connecting analog devices...just a little better than above
3) component: red, blue, green...much much better than above...allows for progressive scan video and HDTV formats, ie 480p, 720i, 720p, 1080i.
4) DVI: full blown digital interface...better signal quality than component.

As for your tv, this is more than likely just a plain old 480p tv. I can't really explain what this is exactly, except for the fact that picture will look noticeable better when you connect video via the red, blue, green connectors. So as far as you are concerned, you want a video card that has the HDTV dongle, for simplicity's sake. You can always buy the card you want, then buy the dongle separately.

Here ya go, check this article out for further explanation: http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2181

P.S. VIVO stands for video-in/video-out. This means the card has some form of video capture, ie. your card can function as a basic VCR (no where near the capability of MCE or TiVo).

It seems to me that this "sale" is occuring because newegg wants to get rid of the old stock. Late December XFX released an updated version with a much better cooling solution. Zipzoomfly is already selling the new version for $214.

It seems to me that this "sale" is occuring because newegg wants to get rid of the old stock. Late December XFX released an updated version with a much better cooling solution. Zipzoomfly is already selling the new version for $214.

I just ordered one from the egg on friday and I got it today and it definitely has the new cooler so I would say you'd get one as well. Bastards made me pay 227 with shipping and now this card is 20 bucks cheaper! SUCK!

edit: I'm also very happy with mine so far, doom 3 looks amazing and I got 7900 in 3d03 and 3205 in 05 with the system in the sig

My 6800GT is a PNY and I've had no issues at all. My 6600GT is an XFX and it's the same story. With both brands the quality has been the same for me. I kinda wish I went with the XFX 6800GT as the not only do XFX's come with a decent bundle but the packaging is so corny (gotta be on purpose) I laugh every time I open it (I.E. One of the Flaps say Danger! Awsomely Powerfull Graphics card within). The PNY is just generic packaging, if I had to choose again I'd pick the XFX card, but if you can save some $$$ going w/ PNY go for that.

A bit of information. Component video is NOT red/green/blue or RGB. The color coding is not what colors are there. It is actually Y, Pb, Pr. The Y is the brightness (black and white) info contained with the picture. The Pb and Pr are blue and red difference signals respectively from the Y. The color "green" can be derived from the three signals.

RGB is really Red, Green, and Blue with Horizontal and Vertical lock signals. This is a bandwidth hog. Which is why component video was developed which is only 2/3 rd the bandwidth of RGB (VGA).

-tReP

Trepidati0n said:
A bit of information. Component video is NOT red/green/blue or RGB. The color coding is not what colors are there. It is actually Y, Pb, Pr. The Y is the brightness (black and white) info contained with the picture. The Pb and Pr are blue and red difference signals respectively from the Y. The color "green" can be derived from the three signals.

RGB is really Red, Green, and Blue with Horizontal and Vertical lock signals. This is a bandwidth hog. Which is why component video was developed which is only 2/3 rd the bandwidth of RGB (VGA).

-tReP

If someone doesn't understand the simple basics of HDTV etc., there's now way in hell that he/she even cares about the above. All the noobie has to know is that component video actually splits the video signal across cables as opposed to across wires. This results in much better shielding, and thus better signal quality. Each signal has a shield with surface area orders of magnitude greater than a tiny wire inside a VGA cable.

While there is truth to the above, why couldn't you just send the same signal over vga cables...while only using 3 pins (plus a few more for grounds)? While my explanation is by no means a definition of component video, it certainly explains the big picture more so than throwing fancy terms around.

I apologize for the rant, i just couldn't resist! :p

Simplification and analogies are great. Being incorrect beacuse the details are 'confusing' is not so much. By the nature of the clueless noob, the first thing that's presented to them is taken as fact and, they're likely to pass it on as truth and eventually get into arguments with somebody.

We don't want that. Keep the facts straight.

Dude, I'm sorry...but saying component is RGB as opposed to Y Pr yada, yada, yada, is practically the same thing. Logisitcs, buddy.

joecool234 said:
Dude, I'm sorry...but saying component is RGB as opposed to Y Pr yada, yada, yada, is practically the same thing. Logisitcs, buddy.

It isn't the same thing at all. Hrm...leaded fuel...just like unleaded fuel just a few less letters. It should work the same...right? They are both fuels but one will NOT work with the other.

Constant misinformation is way of making the wrong things fact. Do you know how long it took me to convince my mother that a 3.5" floppy disk was a floppy disk? Just because the case was hard she thought it was a hard disk. It wasn't till I took it apart and showed the "floppy" center that it finally clicked.

Tell facts not bad analogies. Make yourself and the people around you knowledgeable with facts not just "close enough". It was bad enough today when my manager said that "tasked" is a verb.

-tReP

Well we're getting quite off topic now. ANyways, this deal ends today at 5:30 ET so get on it!

SureFire said:
Looks like the

PNY is 500/900/128-bit Memory Interface/128Mb DDR3/Dual DVI
XFX is 500/1000/128-bit Memory Interface/128Mb DDR3/Dual DVI

so I'd say they're about even except the PNY comes with the HDTV breakout and overclocks very well with no artifacting, dunno about the XFX.

http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT43AND

http://www.pny.com/products/verto/performance/6600gtagp8x.asp

Edited to show XFX as 500/1000

Review

Another review

XFX Pic

PNY Pic

Must be an old PNY product page. My box says 500/1000 and if you go to their site, it now lists the memory as 1000. I didn't know that there were 6600gt cards that had 900 on the memory because I thought the reference design was 1000. I haven't opened it yet as I'm waiting on my Asus A8N mobo. I got this to hold me over because I was sick of the price gouging on alll the other pci video cards.

I just ordered a leadtek one from www.buyxg.com for $190 supposed to be here tomorrow. Supposedly a good overclocker according to anandtech's reviews. I'll give people my experience with it once I get it.

480i - 480 is the lines of resolution the "i" stands for interlaced - basically Standard Definition Television (SDTV)

480p - 480 lines of resolution - "p" stands for progressive scan otherwise known as Enhanced Definition television or EDTV

Same goes for 720p and 1080i 720 lines of resolution - progressive scan
1080 lines of resolution interlaced -
(both HDTV standards)

beware not all DVI connections on HDTV's are PC compatable (check your manuals :) )...

Your TV may have component videon in (the Y Pr Pb) but it may not do 480p. 480i is still a step above SVHS input but the average person will probably never see a difference.

I have a media center 2005 PC with both component and shvs off the video card - to me they both look the same on my SDTV.

Back