• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

XFX - How many RMAs?

Nibathy

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 18, 2010
Messages
115
I recently have been working with XFX to get my GSOD 5870 to not GSOD.
They called for an RMA and they then tested the card, which found no errors.
They sent me a different card (same model) and it has the same issues.

Who else has had to RMA a 5xxx to XFX?
How many times did it take before you got a working one?
Are/did you use HDMI, DVI, or DP?

Anyone using the HDMI port notice a crackling sound when watching streaming video in fullscreen?
 
I recently bought a reference XFX HD5870. I'm running it to an HDTV used as my main monitor via HDMI. I'm using the optical audio on my motherboard, not the Radeon's audio. No issues with it whatsoever.

Details from my sig:
EVGA Classified E759 ¦¦ Core i7 920 ¦¦ CoolIT ECO A.L.C. ¦¦ 6x1GB Aeneon DDR3-1866 ¦¦ XFX HD5870 1GB ¦¦ XFX 9800GT 512MB ¦¦ Samsung LN32B530 ¦¦ Dell 1504FP ¦¦ Intel X25-M G2 80GB ¦¦ WD6401AALS 640GB ¦¦ Samsung SH-S203N ¦¦ LG GDR-H10N ¦¦ CoolerMaster RC-690 ¦¦ Antec TPQ-850 ¦¦ Logitech Z-5500 ¦¦ Logitech G15 ¦¦ Razer Diamondback
 
I have to use my motherboard Optical out to avoid the crackling noises.
I can play games with the card, I just can't max out the graphics, I have to dumb them down otherwise I get GSOD Crashes.

Honestly, that is not what I paid $400 to do....crash when I want outstanding graphics.

I'm just curious to see other people who have RMA issues, and also use the HDMI for audio. Perhaps there is a connection?

Though we appreciate your sentiment, there honestly is no need for us to know about your working card!!
 
You can see my rig below. No issues at all with my 5870, it's never given me a GSOD or any other kind of crash. Also I haven't noticed any audio issues when streaming, which really shouldn't have anything to do with your video card, at least not directly.

Are you using onboard audio? Do you have an old vid card to swap in to see if the audio problem is still there?
 
I've have a lot of GSOD with my XFX 5870. Opened a support ticket and they told me to check the RAM which I tough was a polite way to give me the runaround. Basically, after trying everything, like changing the sound card (Auzentech Home theater HD for an Asus Xonar STX), changing the network card (Xeno for the on board NICs), not overclocking, I still had GSOD... Changed the RAM (G.SKILL for Corsair) and no more GSOD, for the last 3 weeks. Before, I got them almost daily. I should have tried the RAM first... I know, I'm a moron...
Never had issues with HDMI use and crackling sound...
 
How often would it Grey Screen?

My RMA ticket literally started with "Here, try the new 10.1 patch......if that doesnt work try this firmware".
 
I bought an XFX 5870 week one of release. It started black box artifacting so I RMA'd it and they said it was faulty and replaced it. When I got the new one it would GSOD all the time the first 5 mins in games and often times in the game menu where as my old one never GSOD'd.

They told me to turn down the memory clock from 1300 to 1250 and I havnt had a GSOD since using 10.4 drivers. Any speed over 1265 results in GSOD for me.

They also said their new BIOS changes the memory speed to 1250 on all XFX cards.
 
I recently have been working with XFX to get my GSOD 5870 to not GSOD.
They called for an RMA and they then tested the card, which found no errors.
They sent me a different card (same model) and it has the same issues.

Who else has had to RMA a 5xxx to XFX?
How many times did it take before you got a working one?
Are/did you use HDMI, DVI, or DP?

Anyone using the HDMI port notice a crackling sound when watching streaming video in fullscreen?

You ever think it might be something OTHER than your videocard?
 
I recently bought a reference XFX HD5870. I'm running it to an HDTV used as my main monitor via HDMI. I'm using the optical audio on my motherboard, not the Radeon's audio. No issues with it whatsoever.

Details from my sig:
EVGA Classified E759 ¦¦ Core i7 920 ¦¦ CoolIT ECO A.L.C. ¦¦ 6x1GB Aeneon DDR3-1866 ¦¦ XFX HD5870 1GB ¦¦ XFX 9800GT 512MB ¦¦ Samsung LN32B530 ¦¦ Dell 1504FP ¦¦ Intel X25-M G2 80GB ¦¦ WD6401AALS 640GB ¦¦ Samsung SH-S203N ¦¦ LG GDR-H10N ¦¦ CoolerMaster RC-690 ¦¦ Antec TPQ-850 ¦¦ Logitech Z-5500 ¦¦ Logitech G15 ¦¦ Razer Diamondback



I have this same card.No problems at all.My first one was a reference design and it had to be sent in for rma.
 
I changed volts in bios and now no more gsod.
tad on ram and cpu..
havent had gsod few months.
950/1300 oh and changed to 400/900 on 2d
 
I purchased my 5870 at launch and have never had a single GSOD or any other problem for that matter. I also use the HDMI output on my card and have never had any kind of crackling. I havent updated the firmware at all and I keep it updated with the latest drivers.
 
I've had a 5870 since launch and I've not had any issues that werent caused by user error.
 
Your system or the card?

I was seeing how high I could put the vram, I think I tried 1450mhz or something.

I've read that others have had GSOD due to faulty system memory though as well, once they got rid of their system memory problem or stopped overclocking their systems, the card was fine.

I bet a lot of people who have GSODs are having system overclock issues. They think they are fine but it isn't entirely stable in games. Prime95 is not a perfect indicator of game stability.
 
If it makes any difference, my card has not been stable since day 1. I got both my card and new CPU the same day, put them both in and wanted to run benchmarks before and after OC. Due to GSODs, I never got around to OCing the new cpu.
 
I updated my BIOS to the current 2904, still same issue.

I did some more testing and found that OCCT Power supply test (stresses both gpu and cpu) always gives some flickering, and occasionally gives a near/full crash.

GPU-z shows the VDDC Current fluctuates from 95A down to 20A for a split second, usually as the test switches from (100% cpu 80% gpu) to (30% cpu 100% gpu) loads.

i have tried every combination of the 4 12v rails on the Antec quattro 1000w, all seem fine.

OCCT does show that during load the 12v drops to 11.90v is that still within acceptable tolerances?
 
I'd say mine works like a charm, but honestly its not that talkative. No RMA for me yet.
 
So, I just got the same crashes with the card in a completely different computer.
This is a card that XFX told me they tested extensively before shipping to me as a RMA.

In less than 30 minutes I was able to get flickering while stressing the card. And a full crash playing a game.

Again, this is on a card that was "TESTED" before being sent to me.

WTF?!? ......Customer Support plz?
 
my 5850 reference XFX has never GSOD

mine is running 2 x23" LCDs @ 1080p via DVI
 
Back
Top