• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

XFX HD 7850 Woes

mrpawick

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 6, 2007
Messages
1,323
Hey Everyone,

So I recently purchased a HD 7850 from a friend who I usually get all my videocards from. His stuff has always been in great condition. However, I got this videocard, an XFX HD 7850.

The problem:
Random crashes during gameplay (BF:BC2) which are usually the screen going black and I can still talk on TeamSpeak or the mouse, and screen completely freeze, but no BSOD. Usually it is preceded by stuttering.

Things I've tried or noticed:
GTX460 ran just fine - so I think it isn't the power supply.
CPU Temps (<70c); GPU Temps (<70c) are fine.
12.7 BETA drivers
12.6 drivers
12.4 drivers (install but not tested).

When I get home, I'll do a reinstall of windows and run the drivers gambit again. I'm testing gameplay with Bc2.

Have you guys experienced anything with the 7800 series? or anything like this? Any advice?

Pat
 
After a new install of windows, if you are still having problems I would ask for a refund.
 
it deff sounds like a thermal reset, but you say the temps are below 70.

do you have powerplay at 20%?
 
I'm not even familiar with what Powerplay is. I'll have to look into it. I'm currently at work. But, i would say it is at whatever is default.
 
its still a good test, as if you crank powertune (i mispoke earlier) to 20% and the behavior goes away, clearly its a thermal issue.
 
Update: Re-installed windows, installed 12.6 drivers clean. (Last time went from 12.7 to 12.6 uninstalling using AMD's uninstall feature). Seems stable, going to run some testing later tonight.
 
That's good, there seems to be a lot of issues with the 12.7 drivers. I've used the 12.6's without any issues though.
 
I had problems with the 12.7 beta drivers and my 7850 as well. Screen would lose display randomly during games or even when playing movies. Switched back to 12.6 and issue went away.
 
Back
Top