• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

XFX GFFX 5700 LE overclocking

Draiko

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
130
First off, this is my econo/experimentation rig... I've got an Athlon64 3800 with a Geforce 6600GT as my Entertainment rig. So with all due respect... shove the "why did you get the 5700LE, that card sux" Crap, k? Please be cool, I would just like some insight.

moving on...

I've just snagged the XFX GFFX 5700LE 128 MB for $25 and I want to overclock it. I have 3 problems/questions:

1. I have a Biostar M7NCD non-Pro which doesn't let me adjust the AGP bus voltage. If there's a way to unlock this, please let me know!

2. I have no clue what AGP Bus freq to use and I don't feel like frying a graphix card. Is it safe to pump it up to 133 mhz?

3. The card has a heatsink and fan on the GPU that looks like it should handle a bit of heat. There are no heatsinks on the memory. What can I overclock this card to with the stock cooling set up and where do I buy (or how do I make) Heatsinks for the memory?

To all of you that take the time to read this and answer... thanks

To anyone that starts a useless "my card is better than yours" rant in here... I hope you start using cactus as toilet paper.
 
Draiko said:
First off, this is my econo/experimentation rig... I've got an Athlon64 3800 with a Geforce 6600GT as my Entertainment rig. So with all due respect... shove the "why did you get the 5700LE, that card sux" Crap, k? Please be cool, I would just like some insight.

moving on...

I've just snagged the XFX GFFX 5700LE 128 MB for $25 and I want to overclock it. I have 3 problems/questions:

1. I have a Biostar M7NCD non-Pro which doesn't let me adjust the AGP bus voltage. If there's a way to unlock this, please let me know!

2. I have no clue what AGP Bus freq to use and I don't feel like frying a graphix card. Is it safe to pump it up to 133 mhz?

3. The card has a heatsink and fan on the GPU that looks like it should handle a bit of heat. There are no heatsinks on the memory. What can I overclock this card to with the stock cooling set up and where do I buy (or how do I make) Heatsinks for the memory?

To all of you that take the time to read this and answer... thanks

To anyone that starts a useless "my card is better than yours" rant in here... I hope you start using cactus as toilet paper.

1. agp voltage aint gonna do anything to help overclocking
2. bus frequency doesnt affect video card overclocking
3. only overclock i can say your going to achieve is no overclock ;)
 
Hey there,
Download coolbits. It works pretty well. I have it, and I got my FX5200 to 300/512 (Yea I know, nothing big.) Give it a try.
Luck,
Egypt
 
coolbits worked for me on my 5700le, went from 250/400 to 400/500 the only added cooling was a cheap 80mm fan blowing overtop the video card.
 
pandora's box said:
1. agp voltage aint gonna do anything to help overclocking
Not to mention that it CAN on the other hand do something to damage your AGP or video card...

2. bus frequency doesnt affect video card overclocking
Really cheap boards might not manage the AGP bus as well if the FSB is overclocked. Just thought it was worth noteing. If the card is being pushed to the limits, it might start having troubles if it finds it's bus not where it should be. AGP frequency is SUPPOSED to be 66MHz. I haven't heard anyone report any good results from raising the AGP bus. Draiko, are you sure you aren't confusing it with the FSB?

3. only overclock i can say your going to achieve is no overclock ;)
Huh? I don't understand why you say such a thing. Some of them overclock quite well in fact. Sure you'll never get a 5700LE 128MB to be as good as say a 5600, but, that's to be expected. (64-bit memory vs 128-bit.)
 
By saying no overclock, he was reffering to you not knowing much about what you are doing.
 
i have had 5700LE for a bit, and its a really decent card despite what others say, I have it in my wifes rig now, and it runs all current games smoothly with some eye candy turned on. Its a nice little card, ESP. for $25.

It is a 128 bit bus, not 64. Its got 4 pipes, and 3 shaders, which is realy nice for that card at that time.

As for overclocking, based on what you said, I can see your used to OC'ing a processor, but a VC is different, to OC it, all you can do is turn up the 250/400.

To do this, i OC with either 2 programs...

1 called expert tool, which is from gainward, which even though they say is for their cards, I have used it on many a card, and its real easy to use.

Heres the link.

http://www.gainward.de/drivers/

the other as stated before is coolbits. I like expert tool better, but cool bits is nice too.

Its called NVTweak now heres a link

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4375.html


I was able to get mine from 250/400 to 315/450 on stock cooling.

You can of course add an aafter market cooler like a Artic cooling Series, or a PCI slot fan to blow right on the VC.

As for ram heat sinks... here a link to a set, with 2 different sets

Vantec Iceberq CCB-RS8 Copper BGA RAMsinks
Thermaltake A1978 Copper RAMsink


http://www.crazypc.com/products/cooling/cooling.htm#chipcoolers

I hope this helps.... if you have anymore questions... feel free to ask, and ill try to help!

Chris
 
bradyapba said:
It is a 128 bit bus, not 64. Its got 4 pipes, and 3 shaders, which is realy nice for that card at that time.
Apparently a lot of 128MB models are 64 though. Just something to make sure of is all. You can't do anything about it once it's bought anyway.
 
you are correct, after checking with the XFX web site, their AGP 5700LE model is most definately 64 bit, i stand corrected!
 
Back
Top