XFX DD 7950's overheating

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
Was playing BF3 until my system shut down itself. Was like WTF. So I load up MSI Afterburner's OSD settings and have it show the clockspeed, temperature, fan speed, utilization, etc. and fired up BF3. Noticed that after a few minutes of gameplay the top card hit 97 or 99 degrees celsius and I'm like what the.. that didn't happen before.. Dusted the system like two weeks ago, and there's still barely any dust in there. Yes, I checked both fans on both video cards to see if they were spinning.

I have this fan mounted on the side window panel blowing at the cards. The card on the top now loads 93 or 94 and I can play hours without crashing. Tried this at stock speeds, and it stays at 92-93. I believe they're a non reference design so even if I tried to scourge the FS thread for reference coolers, they wouldn't fit on my cards. Do you have any suggestions? They're sandwiched by the way...

/shouldawentforreferencecards

Im at 925/1575 at 1.100 volts and mine never go above 70C.

What voltage do you have the cards at?

Im at 925/1575 at 1.100 volts and mine never go above 70C.

What voltage do you have the cards at?

The DD cards have shitty cooling. What's your fan speed for 70c? As those temps suck ass to be at stock clock speeds.

The DD cards have shitty cooling. What's your fan speed for 70c? As those temps suck ass to be at stock clock speeds.

31%.

Its only up from 900 to 925 with only a 0.006 bump in voltage. I push things on stock voltage for a while before I overclock further and add voltage.

31%.

Its only up from 900 to 925 with only a 0.006 bump in voltage. I push things on stock voltage for a while before I overclock further and add voltage.

I'd definitely invest in an AIO cooler for it, I wouldn't be able to live with that OC/temp. :p

My cards seem to be voltage locked, I don't see any way to adjust the volts after checking "Unlock voltage control".

I'd definitely invest in an AIO cooler for it, I wouldn't be able to live with that OC/temp. :p

I let it go to 70 C to stay quiet. I have a 230mm fan blowing right at both cards. When I overclock it further I will increase the fan speed to keep it at or under 70C.

My cards idle at the lowest fan speed and at 44-46C.

I can easily bring temps down a good bit by increasing fan speed but I want to keep the system quiet.

I let it go to 70 C to stay quiet. I have a 230mm fan blowing right at both cards. When I overclock it further I will increase the fan speed to keep it at or under 70C.

My cards idle at the lowest fan speed and at 44-46C.

I can easily bring temps down a good bit by increasing fan speed but I want to keep the system quiet.

Ah, gotcha. I just love my H50 mod on my 7870 MYST. I wish I had went with a higher end cooler, though. I usually sit around 45-50c under gaming with two low speed fans on the rad.

Back