XFX 8800GT - 52C max oc load temp w/revised stock cooler

grenadier

Limp Gawd
So I finally got my XFX 8800GT 512MB from the Dell deal about a month ago today and it's got the new cooler with the larger fan (~65mm vs. ~50mm). I'm running ATI Tool right now and after 15 minutes at 700/1750/1000 I'm only hitting 52C - am I missing something here or is this like 40 freaking degrees lower than the temps people were getting (including the [H} oc card review) with the older cards?

I was going to get an Accelero S1, but with these temps I might up the voltage to 1.1V using stock cooling :D. Could anyone else with an 8800GT with the new fan post some temperature results?

i just got a xfx 8800gt with the revised cooler myself. i haven't OC'd it quite that high, but i get similar results with the stock cooler (provided i crank it up). so far the newer stock cooler seems to be doing its job well imo.

I have an EVGA stock clock 8800GT, which is overclocked to 685/950. My temperature is 53c on idle and 58c on load with cycle duty 56%~58%. If the fan was 100%, I believe it could be 52c. Of course, it has the bigger stock fan.

Just a quick question, how do I know if my xfx has the revised cooler? Thanks.

the fan on the new cooler is larger and has more blades than the old cooler fan.

old cooler
14-130-319-03.jpg

new cooler
14-150-259-06.jpg

two different brands, but i was unable to find a picture of an evga with the new cooler on it (granted i didn't look too hard haha), but you can get the basic idea there.

Yeah the cooler's just much better I guess. I have the original one and while it's not terrible (I don't get 90 degrees like some people, just 75 or so) it's still super loud if I turn up the speed past 40-50%...and even then it won't be nearly as good as the new more silent cooler.

I just installed a new Accelero S1 on my EVGA 8800GT SC. Idle temp is 39C, and the highest During 3DMark06 was 50C. With the stock cooler idle was 50-51C and peak temp was 62C. I was going to stick with the stock cooler, but for $20.00, why not.

Thanks for the clarification, I guess I've got the new cooler (yay me :)) But do you think I can OC on just the stock cooler? Thanks =)

What I meant to say is, How high do you think I should oc my card to to be safe on stock cooling?

What I meant to say is, How high do you think I should oc my card to to be safe on stock cooling?

I overclocked to 701 core clock, 1012 memory clock with no problem. The fan was setup to ramp up from 40 to 100% speed at different temps.

Heres my 8800GT OC: (I have the original with the 50mm fan on it)

Core: 700
Memory: 1000
Shader Clock: Stock (idk how to change it)
Stock cooling
Fan speed: 100%, 4600 RPM's according to everest.
Idle temp Non OC: 50-52C
Load temp Non OC: 65-70
Idle temp OC: 44
Idle Temp OC: 70-72

i think thats what I got.

yeah its loud, but then again while I'm playing a game and theres 4 othe rcomputers on in this room, i can't really hear it too well, so I'm good.

is it worth the clock increase? do i get alot out of them?

i read an aritcle on legion hardware that it doesn't really affect anything that much.

hmm my frames seem to be more stable or maybe it's psychological, heh :p. Runs CoD4 pretty good, in 48 player games. Need to test it out further to see how well it does.

Just got my XFX 8800gt and popped the S1 on it. Runs freakin cool @ about 46c load with a 120mm fan blowing across it.

Back