XFX 7800gt ? any good?

I have an XFX 7800 GT and I regret buying it immensely. The fan sounds like a jet taking off, it shoots up to about 70 or so after a minute of artifact scanning in ATITool, and the stupid bar on the top means I can't install a Silencer. This thing is miserable. The picture quality is so terrible that honestly in certain situations it reminds me of my ancient 9600 XT...I'm going to have to RMA it, no doubt, but I'll probably just get more of the same back. Sigh.

Do NOT buy an XFX 7800 GT. Go with eVGA...I wish I still could. Their warranty covers overclocking and aftermarket cooling solutions, plus from what I've heard they're very high quality cards.

cool , thanks for the input, sorry about your misfortune.

Shorehn said:
I have an XFX 7800 GT and I regret buying it immensely. The fan sounds like a jet taking off, it shoots up to about 70 or so after a minute of artifact scanning in ATITool, and the stupid bar on the top means I can't install a Silencer. This thing is miserable. The picture quality is so terrible that honestly in certain situations it reminds me of my ancient 9600 XT...I'm going to have to RMA it, no doubt, but I'll probably just get more of the same back. Sigh.

Do NOT buy an XFX 7800 GT. Go with eVGA...I wish I still could. Their warranty covers overclocking and aftermarket cooling solutions, plus from what I've heard they're very high quality cards.
Shame about the bar... but the fan is not their fault. afaik, all the 7800gts use the same fan unless they were factory installed with something else like the gigabyte gv-nx.

I have an XFX and love it. I'm not very sensitive to fan noise, and feel like my card is quiet. The bar is also really nice if you're not planning on replacing the cooling and have a case window, as there's a lit XFX logo on it thats visible when the card is installed.

Shorehn, why would the image quality would be better going from a XFX GT to an eVGA GT? They would be virtually identical in performance and IQ.

IIRC, XFX has a double lifetime warranty on the 7800 series too.

I have no regrets with my XFX just make sure you get the one with the 6 pin connector or the last three digits are i think UDF and not UDEF rumor has it that the latter runs cooler

I wasn't talking about image quality, Elias...not sure where you got the idea that I was. What I saying is that as a whole, eVGA customers seem to be more satisfied with their cards than XFX customers. Just take a look at XFX's forums in the GeForce 7 series section; they're deluged with complaints and XFX hardly ever drops any sort of a comment besides "check your power supply" or "we're working on it". They've even got a thread up now where some guy says that he's going to buy a Foxconn 7800 GT and post the results since he got fed up with his XFX 7800 GT and XFX's customer service. Not a peep from anyone at XFX - and that's really just kind of sad.

As for the image quality, you're right - it would probably be the same. But the advantage of buying an eVGA 7800 GT (which is sounding more and more like a good option to me) is that their warranty covers a lot more than XFX's "double lifetime" warranty. Their cards also don't have that stupid bar at the top, so for those of us (like me) who are looking for a very quiet cooling solution the lack of the bar makes installing a Silencer a whole lot easier.

For the record, my XFX 7800 GT is an Extreme Edition with the 6-pin connector.

Shorehn said:
I have an XFX 7800 GT and I regret buying it immensely....

I have two of them running SLi and I love them! I have not had a single problem. Heat has not been a problem since I am using upgraded cooling anyway. They are fast, have given me nice overclocks and I got a copy of Call of Duty 2 for free, plus a $30 rebate! :D

***edit: Also, that "bar" does not in any way impede in cooling solution installation. I have had Zalman VF700's on mine, and now I have dual NV Silencer's on them. The bar acutally adds strength to the card.

As with any hardware manufacturer, people are going to have various experiences.

What's with the bar on the XFX card? Looks like it should just screw off (no pun intended)

BTW, the eVGA card comes with Quake 4, and its warranty covers overclocking and aftermarket coolers :D

Back