Weaksauce
fixed.

sys specs
abit fatality an8 sli
x2 4400+
xfx 7800 gtx (stock 490/1300)
4x256MB pc3200 hyper X sticks
2 36 GB raptors
4 200 GB 7200 rpm(unplug when trying to fix this)
ocz 520WT psu

Last edited:
Try checking your ram using a memory diagnostic program. Also make sure your bios settings are on point. Look for video options like primary video adapter. etc.. Your Power supply should be pci express compatible with a 24 pin atx mobo connector Hopefully it's not a 20 pin as the extra 4 pins are needed. Do you get this problem in other games or just battlefield 2?

seems heat or OC related to me... not the gpu core, but the video memory. looks like when I was pushing my 6800GTs memory too hard.. I got those same mintor artifacts.. like showing the edges of texture seems... try getting some good cooling on that card, open the case up and point a house fan in there, just to test it out... or rule heat out, rather..

yea psu is pcie ready and has 24 mobo connector.. doesn't happen in call of duty 2, but that game doesn't take much.. no other games exept civ 4... i can try aquamark

just for grins, try downclocking the 3D memory frequency on the card to like 1200 and test that way.. you'll quickly know if it's related to the memory temp / frequency..

did i read that correctly that your gpu temps are 70? is that F or C? If its C, then you need to look at the cooling of the card. is your cpu/mem/video all default speeds? Do you have Vsync disabled or enabled? That kind of looks like tearing.

ok - that temp reading is the core temp, not the memory temp, and those types of artifacts are tipically caused by memory which is either too hot to running to fast... the fact that they get worse over time validates that suspician more.. doesn't matter that it's at "default speeds", if it's got a marginal ddr3 chip or something it can still artifact at "stock speeds" which btw is really 1200 on the memory. The mfg OC's these cards from their default clocks of 430/1200 hoping they'll run faster.. granted, most of them do, but some do not.. we saw a bunch of GTXs which didn't run at their OC'd by factory numbers when they first came out... anyways.. so, just for grins, downclock the memory to 1200 and see if you still get the artifacting.. if it still happens you can at least rule this out.. and I will shut up. lol. ;)

ok i put some extra cooling on the card. it seemd to help in bf2, didn't see anything after 30mins(all i had time for) but in 3dmark06 the last test, in the snow. at the end when it pulls out and shows the hills, i get little black boxs that jump around in the hills...

Last edited:
ok - well - progress on the bf2 front seems good! As for the 3dmark06, it's possible that's a driver issue... what driver version are you using? Nvidia has said there is an issue woth the 8x.xx series drivers are dual core cpus... so you might want to go for something in the 78.xx series... but anyways... just for grins, did you try 3dmark06 with your GTX memory speed at 1200 (rather that the default 1300?). I use and like coolbits2 for playing with the card frequencies, but some peeps like rivatuner and powerstrip also. Give 1200 a try on the memory and see what happens. You might need to RMA this card back to XFX in the event that does solve your issues... it's a bummer, but better get it fixed now rather than have it crap out on you later. (and for your sake I hope I am wrong about the default memory OC being too high)

PS: that score seems pretty on par for your system. you might be seeing some performance hindering from the 4x 256 memory config you're running.. which forces 2t memory timings, because this bench mark wieghs over-all system performance more highly than the last one.. just a thought.

EDIT: also - I doubt the 8x.xx driver bug for dual core cpus is causing the artifacting. It's said to cause lockups and such in certain games only... but wanted to mention it just for the record... and all of that. :)

crap, looks like i need a rma, after playing bf2 longer, it came back. underclocked ram (lol, don't get to say that to often) and it still happend.. same in 3dmark06. i've been reading around and it seems like there is 20% of cards out there don't work right the first time.... ram is my next upgrade, but need the cash first. sisandra didn't show anything wrong with the mobo, but any other better tests out there for it?

Well - I like prime95 for memory/cpu tests... that's pretty much all I use atm. lol. that's a bummer on the card.. so even with it downclocked it still artifacted? you could also try downclocking the core also for more grins... but it just might have a marginal memory chip on it which is causing this very minor artifacting.. for the ram, G.Skill has a really nice 2gb kit out for under $150... not -really- cheap, but for a 2gb kit which does 1:1 with the FSB @ 275mhz it's really awesome. Anyways... here's the link for when you have the $$ maybe you could consider it.. :) Good luck with the card. Let us know what happens with the rma and such.

Yeah - I doubt it's the mobo.. you'd get lockups or maybe crash to desktop, if you're lucky, but usually just a hard lockup with mobo issues..

well, this also could be just a bad cooler mount from the factory.. you could try taking the cooler off the 7800 and cleaning + using AS5 on the gpu core, and using some silicon based thermal goop on the memory chips.. I am not sure about XFX's warranty, but I think it's still valid even if you try aftermarket cooling, as long as the board is not harmed or changed in any way.. but you should check on that before doing anything like what I suggested.. and if that's out of your comfort zone, do not attempt it. just RMA. Putting a call into XFX about this would not be a bad idea tho.. just to get the skinny from them on anything else to try and to verify their warranty policies.

ok - GTK! so - don't mess with it then... I think I was thinking of BFGs warranty...

well i rma'ed it got it back this weekend, pluged her in fired it up, installed drivers and poof, works great... !! so i'm good thanks for your help.

Back