XFX 6950 Pretty loud under load

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
Just picked this one up

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150530

Using MSI Afterburner while gaming looks like fan speed goes up to 62% and speed is around 3500rpm. Should I be concerned? Highest temp I've seen is 85C. I need a few more exhaust fans in my case to help bring the temps down now.

Fan is noticeably loud when gaming, but I wear headphones so I'm not concerned about myself hearing it, but others. Really shouldn't be an issue unless it's abnormal.

Just wanted some thoughts. Thanks.

This is not an uncommon issue with XFX's non reference fan designs. They are often cheap, loud and cool poorly compared to alternatives. You'd likely find the reference design cooler to be loud as well, I know I did.

This is not an uncommon issue with XFX's non reference fan designs. They are often cheap, loud and cool poorly compared to alternatives. You'd likely find the reference design cooler to be loud as well, I know I did.

So should I return it and pick a different card?

It's normal. Mine idled at about 58, loaded at about 90, and was loud all the time.

Bought a gelid icy vision II for $25, hooked the fan up to a fan controller at lowest speed, and now it idles about 40, loads about 60. Not bad for a cooler that you can't hear.

I have three MSI 6950 reference model GPUs.

When I use them in games the fans run at 60% which you can definately hear. I have a Sythe 120mm SH fan blowing on the three cards from the rear and I can actually hear that over the GPU fans.....so it really isn't all that bad.Noticable yes, loud, no. Surely not compared to when I had GTX 480s.

I would think that a single card, well ventilated should be able to run at about 50% under load and about 65-70 degrees C.

If your card runs in the 80s C on 62% fan, you need better ventilation in your case.

I have three MSI 6950 reference model GPUs.

When I use them in games the fans run at 60% which you can definately hear. I have a Sythe 120mm SH fan blowing on the three cards from the rear and I can actually hear that over the GPU fans.....so it really isn't all that bad.Noticable yes, loud, no. Surely not compared to when I had GTX 480s.

I would think that a single card, well ventilated should be able to run at about 50% under load and about 65-70 degrees C.

If your card runs in the 80s C on 62% fan, you need better ventilation in your case.

Well that was under testing I think. Though I benched with furmark today and it didn't break 80C

I do need more exhaust fans. Currently weighing my options on that.

I would return it for a normal reference card with a dual bios switch.

What's the importance of the dual bios switch? I have no desire to unlock it and make it a 6970.

Reference cards seem harder to find for a good price. My budget would be $300 max, shipping included.

Well that was under testing I think. Though I benched with furmark today and it didn't break 80C

I do need more exhaust fans. Currently weighing my options on that.

What's the importance of the dual bios switch? I have no desire to unlock it and make it a 6970.

Reference cards seem harder to find for a good price. My budget would be $300 max, shipping included.

I have three of these, great card,overclockable and unlockable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...27555&cm_re=hd6950_msi-_-14-127-555-_-Product

How's noise and temps?

I run all three stacked into an ASUS Rampage III Formula.
I have a Sythe 120mm SH fan blowing on the rear of the stack.
My case has 4 120mm intake fans and 2 120mm exhaust fans as well as being watercooled.

The GPUs are not watercooled yet.

In demanding games like BF2BC, my top card will hit 75C, middle 70C and the lower 65C, with the fans at 60% constantly.

Audible, yes. Noisy or annoying,no.

When I ran only two cards, they rarely hit 65C and the fans ran at 50% which is very quiet. Unfortunately there is limited space in a three-way configuration. In plain Crossfire I had a bunch of space between the two cards and they were cooler by far.:D

On an MSI card even 50% fan speed is just plain loud. According to Afterburner 50% on my MSI card is almost 3500rpm. While on my Sapphire it's less than 2900rpm. That might not sound like much of a difference but to me that is the difference between tolerable and just plain loud. On hot days my Sapphire card hits a little over 50% fan speed and tops out at about 80c but that is in an FT-02.

On an MSI card even 50% fan speed is just plain loud. According to Afterburner 50% on my MSI card is almost 3500rpm. While on my Sapphire it's less than 2900rpm. That might not sound like much of a difference but to me that is the difference between tolerable and just plain loud. On hot days my Sapphire card hits a little over 50% fan speed and tops out at about 80c but that is in an FT-02.

Loud is very subjective.
I disagree with the comment about the MSI card, but that's just my take. I compare all of these to my GTX 480s, those things were loud, these are nowhere near that.
None of these rear fan cards are whisper quiet under load. the revision 2 cards with different fan placements and configurations are better, no doubt.

I think of this like stock cars. Raw performance is hot and loud, if you want nice, buy a Buick.:D

I might swap it out. but we're talking like 2 weeks for turn around to get the card sent back, refund issued and to get the new card. I might finish up the Witcher 2 first.

I can't hear anything with my headphones on when I game, and that's when the card will be stressed. I'm more concerned with heat and keeping everything cool.

Why not pick up the msi twin frozr card? Not much more, better cooling, and much quieter

Why not pick up the msi twin frozr card? Not much more, better cooling, and much quieter

Might not be a bad idea. I was spoiled by the Asus 460 I had. Think was super cool and quiet.

Thanks.

I might swap it out. but we're talking like 2 weeks for turn around to get the card sent back, refund issued and to get the new card. I might finish up the Witcher 2 first.

I can't hear anything with my headphones on when I game, and that's when the card will be stressed. I'm more concerned with heat and keeping everything cool.

There might not even be that big of a difference between coolers. I haven't seen any direct comparisons between the two coolers. Worse comes to worse you can use an aftermarket cooler at some point.

There might not even be that big of a difference between coolers. I haven't seen any direct comparisons between the two coolers. Worse comes to worse you can use an aftermarket cooler at some point.

Well I found a few reviews of the MSI Twin Frozr Bbq mentioned and their testing showed it keeping pretty cool. Much cooler than the one I have.

What case are you using? When the temps do climb have you tried removing the side panel just to see if it is an airflow problem? I know that removing the side panel on my Antec 1200 helped keep my 6870 a few degrees cooler.

What case are you using? When the temps do climb have you tried removing the side panel just to see if it is an airflow problem? I know that removing the side panel on my Antec 1200 helped keep my 6870 a few degrees cooler.

Its a lian li lancool k58. Only have 1 intake in the front and 1 exhaust in the back. Didn't have issues with the gtx460 but it had a better cooler and was obv not as powerful.

I did remove the side for a few minutes last night but didn't see much of a change

Back