XFX 6870 issues?

bytor

n00b
Are there a lot of 6870 cards failing out there? Just looking for some feedback I have an XFX 6870 black edition and it is showing the dreaded "ATIKMPAG.SYS" error. XFX doesn't seem to want to replace the card. I'm not very impressed with their support.
Anyone else having problems with them?

Can you describe the error? I imagine they'd be hesitant about replacing what seems to be a mere software issue (without knowing the specifics of this dreaded error)

ok - about a month ago I developed an issue with streaming video and playing DVDs. The card had performed flawlessly for 3 months - I play some Crysis Warhead, bu mostly this is a home theater system. The error is "atikmpag.sys" BSOD. The error occurs immediately when attempting to view streaming video or a DVD in Win Media player - you get a few seconds of video and then corruption and BSOD. To date this is what has been done for t'shooting:
Multiple OS (Win 7 ultimate 64) clean installs using variations of ATI drivers - the disk that came with the card, 11.5 software suite, 11.6 software suite & lowering the clock from 940 MHz (stock) to 900 MHz - same failure.
Ran MEMTEST X86+ for 7 hours - no failure
Ran Orthos for an hour without failure.
Installed a different ATI video card in the system - no errors
Disabling the onboard sound in bios and any unused peripherals (1394, serial port etc ...) no impact, same error
Contacted the manufacturer who assigned an RMA to the card. I shipped the card to them, they ship it back saying the card is fine. Reinstalled the card - same error only now it is worse. Now it BSODs when you are using any browser on a site that plays video in the webpage.
2 more win7 OS installs on my system same failure. Updated the Bios on the system - no change. Installed the AMD fan speed patch - no change
tried the 11.5b hot fix suite - no change.
Installing the card in a known working system - same failure.
I have contacted tech support again for an RMA, but no response from them yet.

EDIT - yes, it is a reference design card.

Last edited:
I booted the system earlier today and the bios gave up a video card error code 4 beeps 1 long 3 short.

XFX is ignoring me

Im surprised at that. Sorry to hear it. I recently sold an XFX 4850 on CL, the buyer claimed it kept bluescreening on him, but he contacted them about it via telephone and within a few weeks he had a brand new 5750, no hassle. Hope they come around for you.

Back