• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

XFX 5870 Non-reference versus alternatives

Law&Order

n00b
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Messages
6
I recently snagged a 5870 non-reference from Tigerdirect with BCB.

I'm not excited about the idea of lower quality parts and higher power consumption versus reference parts, though. Can anybody provide some specifics, like differences in load draw between reference/non-reference XFX branded 5870s?

Should I see if I can return it to TD when it arrives and pick up something that uses higher quality components? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1374&cm_re=radeon_5870-_-14-121-374-_-Product

I feel that the situation for a new 5870 buyer right now is a tad frustrating as it seems reference 5870 (1 GB) stock is quickly vanishing. :(

What do you guys think? Keep it, or go with something else?
 
AFAIK the only thing bad about the non reference is overclocking capabilities.
 
I have one reference XFX and one that is non-reference. They are both perfectly stable for me. I haven't had a single issue.
 
I'm using the non reference model from XFX and quite happy with it.

I'm not overclocking though.
 
I grabbed the same deal as you and ended up paying ~$340 when it's all said and done after the different cashbacks, to me it's not worth the extra $70-$80 to worry about it. At the end of the day, I still have a kickass well respected card with great warrenty support. BTW, loving mine.
 
Same here, picked up a non ref 5870 with the bcb deal for $340 to go with the one I got 6 months ago, haven't had a problem yet.
 
What about heat issues for all you guys with the non ref? either going to pick up one of the 5870s or crossfire two 5850s and I wanted to see ow your temps have reacted to the non ref fan design. It seems we wont be seeing the reference boards from XFX again. At least thats the way its looking to me.
 
I"m currently in a crappy case (my lian-li has an issue..) and with my fan set to a manual 45% I can't hear it over my PSU and an 80mm case fan throttled back to 70%. Temps stay below 65C
 
Ah. well in that case. I just got myself a Coolermaster HAF 932 fulltower. I dont think then that Ill have a heat issue with a non ref card. I just... its the principle of buying a high end piece that doesnt direct all the air out the back. .... we had come so far!
 
Back
Top