• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Xfx 5870 and BF2 :-(

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
2,709
Well on BF2 anyway. Ok first off Vysnc does not work in windows 7 and BF2 and the Ati 5870. And yes it was forced threw the CCC. And second my FPS were horrible. Using fraps I was getting about 40 fps most of the time. With my old 8800GT I could get a consistant 60 with vysnc on. But with the lastest 9.10 RC 7 drivers from Ati I get anyway from the 30-50 which is really really bad. I'm not sure what the problem is, could it be windows 7 the drivers etc. So far pretty unimpressed. And yes I know its one game, yet its an old game and the 5870 should plow right threw this game...
 
Did a complete format. And it still did it. But I think I figured it out. I choose Use application settings in the CCC for AA, then for AA mode on the bottom of CCC I set it to Quailty which was supersampling. With that set my FPS tanks. When I set it to the middle one or low then I get a constant 60 or 100 depending on weather Vysnc is on or off. I wonder why it tanks when I set it to quality supersampling. With my GTX285 I could have quality and supersampling and it was fine.
 
I think Supersampling is something NV's are good at. Somebody else might know better..
 
I did do a full format yes. I can get MSAA to work fine and it flys. But when I try SSAA it just tanks my FPS. Not sure what the problem is. I tried 2 different driver sets the RC6 and RC7 9.10 drivers. Another guy on another forum has almost the same setup as mine and can run BF2 with SSAA just fine. I'm going to ask him to email me his exact CCC setup for that game...or send me his profile..
 
That is the same driver I am using as well...I tried the 9.9 ones but they don't work on W7 with the 5870..
 
fyi... My E8400 at stock speed is plenty for BF2. From my experience, you don't need to OC the E8400 for BF2. Use task manager to confirm that your cores are not even close to full utilization in BF2 unless if you have vsync off and are going over 120fps which is unnecessary except for benchmarking.
 
Oh, also.. I'm using a 4870/512 for BF2 and it plays outstandingly so the ATI drivers (at least for the 48xx series) are great with BF2.
 
Here's what I use for BF2:

AA - Use application settings
AAA - disabled
AF - 16X
A.I. - Standard
Mipmap - High Quality

In BF2 I enable 4xAA. I get a solid 60fps with a rare slowdown here or there in Project Reality mod.

Try that.. I don't suggest you use supersampling unless you are sure about it. That's an old AA method. I think SSAA might cause problems if you use AA in BF2. Use one or the other, but not both.
 
SSAA is supposed to be better image quality than MSAA, however it has a much larger performance hit. As anandtech said it, "to put things in perspective, with 8x SSAA the game is being rendered at approximately 32MP, well over the size of even the largest possible single-card Eyefinity display." That was at 2560x1600 resolution.

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643&p=15

So yes, if you are running 8xSSAA you are going to get low framerates especially at higher resolutions (you never said what res you run at). If you are at a lower res and only running say 2xSSAA then I am not sure why you are getting bad results.

As for the comment about NV's SSAA, their's will probably get better results but it's not true SSAA. So you are not really comparing apples to apples.
 
I understand that. But with my GTX285 I was able to run at the same settings as the 5870 but with SSAA 8X and it ran it smooth as butter. So either Ati's SSAA is much more complex than Nvidia's or much better or there's a problem on my end driver or system wise...

EDIT: So Nvidia's SSAA is not the same as ATI's then?
 
I understand that. But with my GTX285 I was able to run at the same settings as the 5870 but with SSAA 8X and it ran it smooth as butter. So either Ati's SSAA is much more complex than Nvidia's or much better or there's a problem on my end driver or system wise...

EDIT: So Nvidia's SSAA is not the same as ATI's then?

nVidia SSAA??? Don't get that option with my GTX260, unless you are talking about transparency AA (ATi has performance/quality which roughly equal nVidia's multisampling/supersampling). Fullscreen supersampling, as mentioned by SoulCreatr, is rather different. It was the first AA method employed, and got replaced by Quincunx and multisampling because it is a performance killer. The 58XX series are the only modern GPU's which support SSAA afaik.
 
I'm just annoyed that the GTX285 can run SSAA without a problem and the 5870 can't
 
probably just a driver issue.. weren't there some 9.10 msi drivers... download those and try those? but it sounds like a driver issue...
 
You can't force AA through your ATI drivers in BF2. You have to use in-game AA.
 
Back
Top