XFX 5770

Tobe

Banned
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
103
Hey [H],

I recently opt'd for a XFX 5770, should be arriving Friday. However, after doing some research and reading around here....I'm not feeling so great about it.

I never really game anymore, or will even come close to fully utilizing the 5770, but the enthusiast in me always wants the best of the best...regardless. Should I ditch it for a 58** series card?
 
Why? You say you don't game so why waste the money when the 5770 will get almost 3/4s of the way there?
 
More concerned about future proofing/upgrade ability.

Would it be a waste of time to drop another 5770 in my board in 2-3 months? Or getting a single more powerful card right now make more sense?
 
The big reason to get a honkin card like a 58xx is if you play high res 2560+ and with AA. Otherwise, its for braggin rights. Why are you asking about crossfire if you don't game much, by what you stated? Are you a closet gamer or something? If you really game, come out and admit it? Btw 2 - 5770s is faster than a single 5850. The point is if you don't use that power, you're just wasting cash for nothing.
 
Yeah, I really like the lower power consumption. I'm coming from a 4850x2.

Not really a closet gamer, but nothing really interests me currently. My current goal is to get 3 monitors up and running.....but, prolly gonna be hella expensive!

Hows this "display port" work anyway? Wtf is a "display port"?
 
Right now the 5770 is about as fast as a 4870, although it typically looses more battles than it wins. Memory bandwidth is probably the culprit. Regardless, performance is sure to improve with driver updates in the future.
 
I went from an 8800 GT to a 5750. It was supposed to be temporary until I could get my hands on a 5850. I liked it so much, I bought another one for Crossfire. Right now I am benching right near where a 5850 is for around the same price. I was skeptical about running Crossfire but so far I am digging it.
 
Hey [H],

I recently opt'd for a XFX 5770, should be arriving Friday. However, after doing some research and reading around here....I'm not feeling so great about it.

I never really game anymore, or will even come close to fully utilizing the 5770, but the enthusiast in me always wants the best of the best...regardless. Should I ditch it for a 58** series card?

If you never really game any more then why even spend any money at all? What video card do you have now, why do you feel the need to upgrade? What res do you game at? I am happy with my 5770 purchase as it was a huge improvement over my 7900GTX..
 
the 5770 is a great card with DX11 potential, but drivers atm are not mature and you might not see the card in its full glory. It has the ability to do eyefinity for 3 monitors with 2 DVI and 1 Display port. If you shop around you'll see some monitors that have a display port capability like the Dell U2410 for instance, its just another type of plug.

Unless you game in full AA and more than 1920x1080 resolution, then it would not be worth dropping that much money on a 5800 card. Currently eyefinity does not work while in crossfire mode but I'm hoping future drivers will solve that issue.
 
Bought a Sapphire 5770 on release day, haven't really regretted it. Runs Fallout 3, MW2, L4D2, Dragon Age: Origins, TF2, and more just fine at highest detail settings. If you really don't game much, you won't notice or care about the difference. Save your money, and if you really have to upgrade, see what pops up down the road first.
 
Hey [H],

I recently opt'd for a XFX 5770, should be arriving Friday. However, after doing some research and reading around here....I'm not feeling so great about it.

I never really game anymore, or will even come close to fully utilizing the 5770, but the enthusiast in me always wants the best of the best...regardless. Should I ditch it for a 58** series card?

I just don't understand what you're trying to say. You 'never really game anymore' but you want a more powerful video card? :confused:
 
The HD 5770 is as powerful as the HD 4870 as many have already stated. However, it's energy consumption is as low as the HD 4670.

Having said that, if you really don't game, then you might be wasting your money. For example, I decided to buy a passively cooled 9600GT when it was first released (~$160) for my HTPC thinking that I would be playing the occasional game on it on my TV. Guess what? I've only been playing on my primary PC.

If you don't feel like returning it, then you can be comfortable with the fact that you will still be able to play games at moderate graphic settings 3 years later.
 
Back
Top