• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

XFX 5770 Juniper XT Extremely LOUD!

Joined
Sep 12, 2005
Messages
36
Hi guys. I recently built a new computer. I plan on running crossfire with my two XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 video cards. My crossfire bridge hasn't come in yet, so I'm just using one of them right now. I have to say that I did not expect the card to be this loud. It's almost as loud as a hair dryer. My friend bought the same card and also experience the same problem. I can't imaging how loud two will be.

So my question is, did anybody else experience this? I've tried googling this, but there's not much on this. Is there a way for me to lower the noise? Thanks.
 
Report back to us what your fan speed @ certain temperatures is. A lot of these cards get shipped with different bios's.

Some guys have cards that have an aggressive fan profile, some don't. Contact XFX and they can send you a more silent BIOS. Many people have posted about their XFX 5xxx cards being too silent, with some not even ramping the fan up past 30% until 85° C so that is the opposite situation of what you are experiencing.
 
I am starting to hate xfx for using cheap designs on their board, they know they are popular brand and sell regardless but on every graphic card they sell they seem to have adapted a more profitable pcb and fan design. I would take refrence heatsinks on these cards over xfx ones anyday.
 
I am starting to hate xfx for using cheap designs on their board, they know they are popular brand and sell regardless but on every graphic card they sell they seem to have adapted a more profitable pcb and fan design. I would take refrence heatsinks on these cards over xfx ones anyday.

It's not just XFX. Everybody had the eggshell style fans and non-software controllable PCB designs or the center axial fan coolers. It is shared among many AIBs.

That's said, I agree. I would buy reference every time if I had the choice, or you could pay the premium for the higher tier cards with custom designs like the MSI Lightning, Asus, Gigabyte cards, etc.
 
Hi guys. I recently built a new computer. I plan on running crossfire with my two XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 video cards. My crossfire bridge hasn't come in yet, so I'm just using one of them right now. I have to say that I did not expect the card to be this loud. It's almost as loud as a hair dryer. My friend bought the same card and also experience the same problem. I can't imaging how loud two will be.

So my question is, did anybody else experience this? I've tried googling this, but there's not much on this. Is there a way for me to lower the noise? Thanks.

I don't have an answer, but was this the reference exhausting cooler or the open egg design?
I do know in the past XFX, at least on the 8800GT series, started with a 3 wire (third wire was RPM sensing) Fan and then moved over to a 2 wire non adjusting fan. Some people were lucky enought to request a fan replacement as the board still had the hardware to control the fan, others were not as a later board revision removed that feature.
 
I don't have an answer, but was this the reference exhausting cooler or the open egg design?
I do know in the past XFX, at least on the 8800GT series, started with a 3 wire (third wire was RPM sensing) Fan and then moved over to a 2 wire non adjusting fan. Some people were lucky enought to request a fan replacement as the board still had the hardware to control the fan, others were not as a later board revision removed that feature.
Pretty sure the Juniper XT is the reference "brick" cooler. The oval/egg and the third design that they have (which looks somewhat like a pylon) are quieter. Can't say for sure about temperatures.
 
i took a screen shot of the CCC.

PdjZc.png
 
So I figured out what the problem is. The two video cards are too close to each other. The noise that is being made is when the fan of the GPU is too close to a surface, in this case; the 2nd video card.

Currently, the video cards are in PCI-E slot #1 and #3. The 5770's are pretty big and take up two slots.

So now I have a new problem. In order to get rid of the loud noise, the two video cards need to be spaced out a little bit more. If i place the video cards in PCI-E slot #1 and slot #4. The one in slot #4 probably won't fit and also, my Crossfire bridge most likely won't reach the two video cards. So has anyone ever experienced this problem?
 
Back
Top