xfx 4890 vrm temps...

FinalAura

[H]ard|Gawd
Sorry for the long post...

I got fed up with the noise from the stock cooler of the 4890, so I decided, after a lot of research, to purchase an accelero twin turbo. From everything I've read, people claim that this heat sink works quite well.

A lot of people who have the accelero + 4890 leave the red, stock heat sink on and mount the accelero over it. This is because the stock heat sink is actually used on the memory AND VRM's

However, there seems to be different versions of the 4890, and I can't seem to find anyone with my particular version (or im not looking hard enough). Anyway, my stock heat sink does not cover the vrms... but it came with a thin black one mounted on. My 4890 is a ZDFC version.

vxyvc7.jpg

kb2544.jpg

With the super loud stock heat sink, when I bench crysis warhead, the VRM's are in the low 90's c. Now with the accelero, i've got a major decrease in GPU temp (15-20c cooler),but the VRM's peak at 115c...

I've tried mounting the heatsinks that came with the Accelero, but that gave the same temps. I run @ 100% fan speed for the accelero and it doesn't help that much for the VRMs. This is definitely a problem, right? No artifacting goes on, and my system is completely stable, its just a really high temp... Any ideas?

Thanks [H].

That's really high temps for the VRMs. If you happen to have an old 120mm fan somewhere, put it in front of the card blowing horizontally over the VRM heatsink. The fans that come with the Accelero don't really move alot of air, so you have a dead-zone, air flow wise, at the VRMs.

What's really needed is some sort of heatpipe cooler for the VRM's that's low profile to fit under the heatsink, and loops around the back of the card with fins going on. When I was considering a 4890 it was on my list of things "I'd have to do" when I mounted my accelero s1. I have an old zalman HP80 on a 9700 I was going to chop up to make it work. Those included heatsinks were fine for the x1800 and maybe the 3750, but later cards really needed more cooling there.

Back