• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

XFX 4890 Clock Question

Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
943
Hi all, this is my first ATI card, and I am new to just about all things PC related.

I got this card yesterday, installed it, got the latest drivers for it, and everything seems ok. Except that every program shows the clock at 240MHz.

It seems like the card is downclocking, but I can't find anything in the CCC to stop it from doing this, or at least adjust how low it downclocks. I tried some of the different settings in CCC to overclock the card, but like I said, I really don't know a lot about these cards or how to function with them. I also tried to download Rivatuner, because I am familiar with that program, but there are no options to do anything to the card, other than to adjust the display properties.

I did a test run of Vantage for fun w/ what I thought was a small overclock of the card, and got just over 10k...on my E8400 w/ a GTX 260 I got 12k...I know that Vantage is a crap program, and that it uses physix and is more geared towards NVIDIA cards, but can it really be that far off??

What can I use to tune this card, and test it as well?

I have to when I get the extra money find some kind of aftermarket cooling for this thing, the fan is awful, anything over 35% and it screams...

Thanks for any help and info!


Hmm...for some reason my signature isn't showing up, so here are the specs:

Antec 300 Holding: Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H w/ F1 Bios
AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition @ 3.8GhZ, Xigmatek DarkKight Cooler
8GB AData DDR2-800 5-5-5-18 2.1v
XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB
500GB Seagate OS Drive; 1TB Hitachi Storage Drive
Sony Optiarc 24x SATA DVD Burner
Rosewill RG630-2 630W 80Plus Certified
BenQ 24" WS LCD
Logitech Z-5500's
Razer Tarantula/DeathAdder
 
The card is fine and so is the vantage score. Physx unfairly adds about 2k points so vantage is absolutely worthless as a benchmark. If you want to change to what the card down clocks to onto the desktop first enable view hidden files then go to c:->users->ur username->appdata->local->ati->ace->profile.
 
The card is fine and so is the vantage score. Physx unfairly adds about 2k points so vantage is absolutely worthless as a benchmark. If you want to change to what the card down clocks to onto the desktop first enable view hidden files then go to c:->users->ur username->appdata->local->ati->ace->profile.

and what do I edit? Do I use dreamweaver, or something like notepad?
 
I just use wordpad/notepad. Edit
- <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_1">
<Property name="Want_0" value="30000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="75000" />
</Feature>
- <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_1">
<Property name="Want_0" value="30000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="90000" />
</Feature>
- <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_1">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1050" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1250" />

Want_0 is 2d clocks (I have mine set to 300) and Want_1 is 3d clocks.
 
This is what mine looks like:

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="24000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="50000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="85000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="97500" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="97500" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="97500" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1053" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1183" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="1313" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="0" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="0" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="0" />


What is Want_3?

and after I change the values, do I restart the pc for it to take affect?
 
why do you want to change 2d clocks? its supposed to go to 240 at 1.05v, 3d is 850 stock at 1.31v stock....
 
I'm not quite sure why your trying to defeat the powersaving features of your video card. As soon as a program requests high power 3D rendering the card will clock back up to it's normal clocks. But when your sitting at your desktop it's better for it to not be in full power mode.
 
I'm not trying to defeat the power saving features, I just wanted to increase it a little bit because I use dreamscenes, and they seem to flash a bit, and every time I look at anything that monitors the card, it's always @ 240...I was just going to bump it up a notch, to see if that makes a difference.

Any way I changed the settings in the profile but nothing changed. Is there another setting I am missing?
 
Back
Top