XFi + BF2 FPS Issue Solved

Opie

Gawd
There is a 93 page thread over at the Creative forums about the huge fps hit many suffered after switching to an XFi card - even after a nuke & pave - in BF2 at the ultra high, XFi specific audio setting. While this couldve been expected some, not unfairly, questioned Creatives ad-copy stating an FPS increase when using the new gen cards. Much gnashing of teeth ensued.

Creative techs visted the thread irregularly offering suggestions that for the most part didn't pan out. Finally some enterprising soul found that the OpenAL dll file that BF2 uses is, well, old. If you copy the OpenAL.dll from win/sys32 and rename it to the BF2 dll there is a measureable increase in sustained FPS and general smoothness in-game. I recommend this fix to anyone using the XFi card wanting a better experience:

1. Go to: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wrap_oal.dll
2. copy wrap_oal.dll
3. paste it on the desktop
4. rename wrap_oal.dll into BF2OpenAL.dll Check to make sure it's version 1.1 (right click, properties...version tab Open AL 1.1). If it's not update your chipset drivers then update your sound card drivers. If that still doesn't update it to 1.1 go here
Click Here For Download
5. Go to: X:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2
6. Copy BF2OpenAL.dll in the Battlefield 2 directory
7. Right click in that directory and select "PASTE"
8. It will make a copy called "Copy of BF2OpenAL.dll
9. Delete BF2OpenAL.dll in the Battlefield 2 directory
10 Copy BF2OpenAL.dll from desktop into: X:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2
11. Go to: C:\...\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache\(delete all cache file)
12. Go to: C:\...\My Documents\Battlefield 2\dmp\*.dmp --delete all files with a *.dmp extension.
13. when you enter the server pull down the command box. For me I use the "~" key.
14. Type renderer.drawfps 1 (some of you may need to hit the spacebar twice to move it once...don't ask it's stupid).
15. Also type game.lockfps 999
165. Play BF2 and see if you notice an increase or sustain frame rate in BF2
Play game.

Credit for the instructions goes to Eastcoasthandle.

Hmmm interesting...

I dont experience any FPS problems though with my creative x-fi

might be a good thing to try though for those of you who are :)

Anime_Fan said:
Hmmm interesting...

I dont experience any FPS problems though with my creative x-fi

might be a good thing to try though for those of you who are :)

Its meant for those with cards that have X-RAM.

I never had any problems...I might try it though...hope it doesn't fvck anything up lol

edit: tried it and the game crashed when i tried loading a level....great.

Opie said:
15. Also type game.lockfps 999
165. Play BF2 and see if you notice an increase or sustain frame rate in BF2
Play game.

Looks like you skipped 150 steps :p

J-Mag said:
Looks like you skipped 150 steps :p

That was how long he waited for the map to load.

Looking at the instructions, they're really dealing with two problems at once, and only one of them is having a real effect on FPS(imho).

First problem: The BF2 openal files don't work well, or in some cases at all with x-fi cards, so you have to make sure it is using the openal files from the x-fi drivers.

Second problem: BF2 is really dumb about cache management, and as soon as it becomes a little bit fragmented it messes up your FPS.

I pasted the instructions so I plead forgiveness.

I think this addresses 2 things:
- an out of date Open AL dll file in the BF2 directory- DICE's fault
- ulimiting frames - DICE's fault

I have never had this game play so smooth. And this is on an FX-60 @ 3ghz, XFi fatality, 2 gigs GSkill, blahblahblah.

Back