I want to build a new home workstation, which will be used mainly for developmen. I will also do some gaming on it, although that's not the primary purpose of the machine. My main concern in what CPU to get: Gulftown provies six hyper-threaded cores, which can help with running virtual machines and compiling code, but Sandy Bridge is significantly faster per clock than Gulftown, so even at 4 cores, it gives Gulftown a hell of a run for it's money.
Now, the advantages of W3670 is overclocking ability (via BCLK of course; memory would be OC'd at 1600 with some heatspreaders... for the looks), but it sucks a lot more power, especially if overclocked. E3-1235 does have QuickSync, which negates one advantage of the W3670 - video transcoding. I can't quite decide between them.
Motherboards would be Intel DX58SO2 and ASUS P8B WS, with 24GB/16GB ECC-U memory respectively. 1366 does give 8 gigs more RAM though, but X58 sucks a decent amount of juice to provide extra PCIe lanes I won't be using.
What are your recommendations?
Now, the advantages of W3670 is overclocking ability (via BCLK of course; memory would be OC'd at 1600 with some heatspreaders... for the looks), but it sucks a lot more power, especially if overclocked. E3-1235 does have QuickSync, which negates one advantage of the W3670 - video transcoding. I can't quite decide between them.
Motherboards would be Intel DX58SO2 and ASUS P8B WS, with 24GB/16GB ECC-U memory respectively. 1366 does give 8 gigs more RAM though, but X58 sucks a decent amount of juice to provide extra PCIe lanes I won't be using.
What are your recommendations?