Xeon Quad vs. C2Q

xXaNaXx

Gawd
did a search, but couldn't really find much info. i've run all AMD up to this point so i'm not really up to speed on intel, but the prices for the intel quad cores are looking really attractive right now.

i'm getting ready to start building a multimedia & file server, which may also double as a video encoding box. it will be running a hardware-based RAID5 for storage, and possibly a RAID0 array for encoding....probably will not be gaming on it at all. i will likely overclock it a bit more performance out of it, but i'm not really that interested in achieving the absolute maximum OC. i'm not even really concerned in the price differences between the two....main focus is going to be on rock-solid stability.

i'd be looking at the LGA775's vs. the LGA771's for cross-compatibility between Xeon and C2, in case i ever wanted to upgrade the CPU only, to give me more choices further down the road.

so on to the questions:

1) what are the main physical/architectural differences between the Xeon Quad series and the regular Core 2 Quads? is it mainly just the default multiplier that they use?

2) what are the advantages to using one over the other?

3) is there any kind of side-by-side comparison of the two that i could use to base my purchase decision on?

wow, 96 views and no one can tell me the difference between the xeons and the c2q...or at least post a link to somewhere that explains the differences? :eek:

well from what i understand, the 775s are the same other than the name on the box and the price. the xeons are suppose to be the better chips to withstand more punishment as they are enterprise-grade chips.

depending on your budget and what stock speed out of the chip you want, you could really go either way. the cheapest quad core is the Xeon X3210 which is 2.13GHz, then the Q6600 at 2.4 then the Xeon X3220 at the same speed for about $100 more with the Xeon name.

The chips come from the same batch so I doubt there's not too much of a difference.

well, 771 xeons tend to be used in pairs or more c2d (and 775 xeons that are the same as c2d/q) stay single cpu only.. and the 771 xeon boards usually don't feature overclocking as it might decrease stability.

I can't think of a xeon board available now that features two full signal 16x PCIe slots.
So if you don't need a board with two processor and 16 ram sockets http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=439, you're probably better of with the c2q (or the identical 775 xeon).

for AMD users, In short 771 Xeons are the same as socket-F Opterons (multiprocessor version) but without proper workstation mainboards like they are available for amd systems http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=271 http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=163.

Not when its fully buffered and with ECC. (well, maybe even then).

Atleast you can go around claiming you have 60+GB of RAM (how about 10 CPUs, 8GB each?) of memory, and still say its your RAM (as opposed to those who think they have 250 or 320GB of RAM).

Not to mention the costs for the board/RAM/case... power requirements...

Well my Xeon x5355 2.66ghz quad will be up tonight if we need to do some actual comparisons. Has 4GB of ECC RAM also.

Back