Xeon in LGA2011 MB?

Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
10
I've just begun saving some money for a LGA2011 processor. It seems the 3930K is the most attractive with Unlocked 6 Cores.


Now comes a wrinkle...


What about the line of LGA2011 XEON Processors? I see them listed (All prices CDN)...


(A) Xeon E5 2650 8 Core 2.0GHZ 20MB 8.0 GT/S 95W Sandy Bridge Processor @ $1,209.74
(B) Xeon E5 2687W 8 Core 3.1GHZ 20MB 8.0 GT/S 150W Sandy Bridge Processor @ $2,055.42
(C) Xeon E5 2690 8 Core 2.9GHZ 20MB 8.0 GT/S 135W Sandy Bridge Processor @ $2,241.55

This whole question is just for discussion since I could not afford these stratospheric prices.


Comments anyone?
 
Yes, I believe they will work in most desktop boards, however there is NO OVERCLOCKING on Xeons. Not by multiplier, and not by strap. You can get a few Mhz with BClk adjustments, but thats it.

3930K is the one to get.
 
E5's are for dual socket setups which is why they cost so much, not sure if they work in consumer 2011 (X79) or not but there is no reason to consider them for a single CPU board.
 
Evga will release this new version of the SR motherboard (pardon me if I use wrong name) for socket 2011 too..and soon you will be able to have your dual cpu gaming rig of the newer generation..
 
Xeon E5 chips should work fine on X79 boards. You won't get ECC unless the board supports it though.
 
Evga will release this new version of the SR motherboard (pardon me if I use wrong name) for socket 2011 too..and soon you will be able to have your dual cpu gaming rig of the newer generation..

Except Intel has completely locked down any overclocking potential on Xeon chips. So the only reason to get the SR-X over a traditional server board is for its looks, and possibly expansion slot layout.

And one thing I absolutely dislike about the SR-X is that one CPU gets 4 RAM slots while the other gets 8. EVGA did not give 8 to both.
 
Xeon E5 chips should work fine on X79 boards. You won't get ECC unless the board supports it though.

Actually, it depends on the board. With Asus motherboards, the only one that officially supports any of the Xeons (besides the dual-socket Z9PE-D8 WS) is the P9X79 WS. None of Asus's other X79 mobos officially support any Xeons.

MSI and Intel do not currently list any of their X79 mobos as compatible with any Xeons. Gigabyte certifies only its X79 mobos with only four DIMM slots as compatible with Xeons, while ASRock lists several that are Xeon-compatible.
 
Actually, it depends on the board. With Asus motherboards, the only one that officially supports any of the Xeons (besides the dual-socket Z9PE-D8 WS) is the P9X79 WS. None of Asus's other X79 mobos officially support any Xeons.

MSI and Intel do not currently list any of their X79 mobos as compatible with any Xeons. Gigabyte certifies only its X79 mobos with only four DIMM slots as compatible with Xeons, while ASRock lists several that are Xeon-compatible.

I am not talking about what the board guys tested or list support for. I can't think of a technical reason for it not to work... Same as e3 Xeon in s1155 boards.

I have a Xeon E5-2690 and a DX79SI I plan on running together so I will report back if it doesn't work. I expect it will, albeit without ECC support as mentioned earlier.
 
Checking back in. The E5-2690 works like a champ in the DX79SI.
 
The ASUS P9X79-WS WORKSTATION model X79 single socket mobo is certified to work with Xeons FYi.
 
I've been using my xeon e5 2687w in my asus sabertooth x79 while I'll wait to be able to use my 28nm AMD gpus in my z9pe-d8 (latest bios 0503 fail). Registered ecc will not work in the board you must use unbuffered memory. I have yet to test unbuffered ecc though.
 
Is there any advantage of using an expensive Xeon on a single socket motherboard? Why would one want to consider this?
 
I've been using my xeon e5 2687w in my asus sabertooth x79 while I'll wait to be able to use my 28nm AMD gpus in my z9pe-d8 (latest bios 0503 fail). Registered ecc will not work in the board you must use unbuffered memory. I have yet to test unbuffered ecc though.
I'd like to know how unbuffered ecc works for you.

If a consumer board doesn't support ECC memory I see absolutely no point at all in having a xeon CPU. Other then maybe some specialized application.
I thought that the memory controller on the CPU is what determined the ability to run ECC or not. Since that's now on the CPU itself I was a bit perplexed when I read that ecc doesn't work...
 
Is there any advantage of using an expensive Xeon on a single socket motherboard? Why would one want to consider this?

Probably the added cores.

To the OP, I would recommend you build your socket 2011 system now using the 3930k and then upgrade to an 8 core when ivy bridge has fully rolled out (ivy bridge based Xeon is released).
 
Evga will release this new version of the SR motherboard (pardon me if I use wrong name) for socket 2011 too..and soon you will be able to have your dual cpu gaming rig of the newer generation..

which 0 games will take advantage of :)
 
Is there any advantage of using an expensive Xeon on a single socket motherboard? Why would one want to consider this?

There isn't any advantages. You can OC a 3930k up to 4.8-5.0Ghz which will out perform an 8 core clocked at 3.1 in all tasks. If you're getting single socket 2011 get a 3930k, simple as that. The Xeons this time around are going to be for a select few people since they don't OC (and won't be able to game) like the X5600 series could with the SR-2. Hopefully IB Xeons fix this :(
 
Back
Top