XEON Heatsink inside Lian Li V2000 Case

Hi there,

Im building a quad xeon based rig inside a Lian Li V2000 case.

the specs are:

1x XEON 5355 CPU
1x AKASA AK-384 CPU cooler
1x Intel S5000XVN Motherboard
1x Lian Li V2000 Case

The V2000 came with a Mounting plate for the Xeon processors that would need to be fastened onto the backplate, so the Coolers could be securely screwed into place.

However as it turns out the V2000 doesnt have screw holes where they would need to be for the Mounting plate, so it looks like i will have to drill them.

I would like to ask that what DIY tools do you recommend ? should i just simply drill holes and then run a bolt through and secure it with a nut ?

or should i buy a Tap and Die(and what type?) set, and try to create a tap, so i could more securely attach the plate onto the case ?

coupla things ...
if you do drill make sure to clean all the shavings away thouroughly and file the area around the hole drilled to remove any burrs that may be left sticking up or mashed against the holes edge.

as far as tapping if you go that route then you will want machine threads and they should be .5 drill the hole itself at .45 to allow enough wall for the .5 threading.

however i wouldn't recommend tapping as it's just a lengthy process.
buy some .5 nuts and some epoxy and just mark the holes and recheck and epoxy down the nuts where they need to be and make sure you buy screws that are the right length to fit perfectly. if you cant find a perfect fit then drill holes at the spot and drill them at .5 and pre-thread the screws through the nuts and make sure to have some of the screw shaft going through the nut to use as a placement guide, then epoxy the nuts in place using the screws still in the nuts. make sure not to get any epoxy on the screw itself only the nut surface that contacts the case. if you aren't sure of yourself use 2 toothpicks instead of the screw inside the nut to act as a guide.

Back