• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Xeon E5530 - Cooling Query

laserbeam

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
168
Hi,
I have 2 E5530 processors on order and need to provide for cooling. Can anyone recommend a good but quiet cooler? Indeed, given that dual socket configurations can't be overclocked can I passively cool them?

If so, with what? Clearly, I'm looking for a cool but quiet workhorse...


Regards,
Dave
 
Question is, what kind of case you are putting these in? A 2U/3U will be limited compared to something like your V2000.
 
In that case, I'd go with a pair of Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme or Megahalems with silent fans like a Scythe S-Flex :)
 
In that case, I'd go with a pair of Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme or Megahalems with silent fans like a Scythe S-Flex :)

Rex is right with the S-Flexes for fans, silence is golden. You may also consider a Zipang 2 if you want to save money and want something to blow down towards the mobo, cooling the chipset and PWM circuitry. I think that's probably more beneficial for the OPs application.
 
Rex is right with the S-Flexes for fans, silence is golden. You may also consider a Zipang 2 if you want to save money and want something to blow down towards the mobo, cooling the chipset and PWM circuitry. I think that's probably more beneficial for the OPs application.

The Zipang 2 looks interesting but I fear it may be too wide for my mobo (ASUS Z8PE-D18).


Regards,
Dave
 
I'm also slightly concerned by the risk of vertically mounting 2 heavyweight coolers on a server mobo. I suspect they're weren't designed with the expectation of mounting two big Thermalright coolers on them.


Regards,
Dave
 
Although it's not really new the Geminii S from coolermaster isn't nearly as big as a zipang. (I've got both), but you'll need the LGA1366 bracket kit. It's a nice heatsink and blows down at the PWMs as well. Looking at pics and such, I thought there wasn't much of a difference but the Geminii was much smaller and easy to work with.
 
I'm also slightly concerned by the risk of vertically mounting 2 heavyweight coolers on a server mobo. I suspect they're weren't designed with the expectation of mounting two big Thermalright coolers on them.


Regards,
Dave

I did this once when I had dual opterons. Just for peace of mind, I zip tied them both so that there was just the slightest bit of tension on them to help alleviate stress on the board. Or, if you're *really* worried, you can just lay it on its side. :)
 
Back
Top